Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
Music and milestone
Monday, August 20, 2007
I have already blogged a very long time back about my headphones.
I never took them to work, actually never used them, because I thought they looked too big. DH kept scolding me, its been over a year since he bought them for me. I carry my iPod and headphones with me, along with my wallet and cell phone. Cannot be away from music for long.
So last week, unable to tolerate my cubemates' constant loud-talking and guffawing on the phone I thought I should make use of my noise-cancelling headphones. I am glad I did that. I have rediscovered my love for Bose, and music.

On Independance Day the least I could do was listen to songs from Patriotic films like The Legend of Bhagat Singh. I love Sarfaroshi Ki Tamanna, we learnt that song in school too. I remember walking out of the hall were the Indian Students Association had screened it for a dollar donation. Desh Mere Desh Mere, brought goose bumps.

Now I am rediscovering Rang De Basanti, Khalbali Hai is so awesome, I am falling in love with ARR's voice all over again. And Naresh Iyer. I like the Arabic tilt to the music. I am transported into my own world, where I can work at peace.

My colleagues have a hard time getting my attention, since the headphones are so good, I cant even hear my own fingers typing on the keyboard.

**********

August 18th, I completed six years of US life. Six years! Is a long time. I was so naive and bookish. Having been a day scholar in college only made it all the more difficult to adapt to this sudden huge change. This is the only year I can neatly partition my life in US so far. 2 years of student life, 2 years of depressed, single life, 2 years of happily married life. Lots of lessons learnt. Life is not easy. Before coming to the US, I got everything in life as I wanted. Transitioning from depending-on-Dad-to-take-care-of-everything to doing everything on my own, was not easy. Living only physically in the US, with all my heart in India was not easy. I spent all my money on calling cards to India. There were days when the only person I talked to in the day was DH, my then best friend, back in India. Life in the US will not be as rosy and happy as it is, if not for DH. Thank you dearest!

Oh, there were memorable times too. Sleepless nights in the labs, doing projects. The times spent at lab, trying to do research, but ending up gossiping all night. My first ever surprise bday cake from a caring friend. Learning swimming from the same friend, to whom I held on to for dear life, the first time ever I stepped into a 4 feet deep pool, during warm summer days. Hitting those Tennis balls taking turns, learning to only serve properly. Learning Ball room dancing from a (am pretty sure) gay instructor in the majestic Lathrop Hall during another Summer. Singing among the totally awesome music group full of Music Majors, every Sunday, at the University Church. Struggling to match all the brainy PhD heads in the lab, putting long long hours, with only time left to sleep. Struggling to stay awake to understand the Professor rambling on in the accent difficult to understand, after a long night working on projects. The same loud beating of the heart, while checking the grades online, only Dad was not there to hold me if I fainted.

Once I started working it was whole new deal. The only part I liked was the weekends. Stayed up late Friday and Saturday nights, playing all kinds of board games. I had two kittens and two fishes at home for company. I loved them a lot. My personal life was taking unpredictable changes, so it was a roller coaster ride all the way. I was either extremely happy or extremely distraught.

Then I moved to California. Finally gloomy days were over, and it was summer all year, literally and figuratively. Got married. Life has been great so far, touch wood, pretty interesting too, with long-distance married life having its own challenges, like doing everything from paper work to cleaning only over the weekend, as that was the only time both of us will be at one place. Work has been great, I am able to appreciate it more, as I know now how horrible it is to be doing something I hate for a living.

Anyways, its time to celebrate, bring out the champagne. Every stage of life be it a happy one or a sad one has an important part in shaping me up, moulding my character, to what I am today.

Gosh, it was supposed to be a short post, take not more than 15 mins, but I had to ramble on.

Let me get back to my music and work.

Have a good week folks!
posted by SK @ 8:48 PM  
11 Comments:
  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger DivSu said…

    Ditto to the Bose headphones. That is one really slick piece of technology;) We bought it on Subhash's insisting that we buy one, and haven't regretted it since :) Only I should remember to take it with me to work when Subhash is in town so I can make my lab days quieter;)

    Congrats on 6 years! I know exactly what you mean:)

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger dakaltiz said…

    oh...nice sk...this is one emotional writin... good to know more abt u... :) and music is smthg which gets u going in all times i guess...as for me ...i feel relaxed whenever i play my keys... no matter in what mood i'm in ...happy...sad..angry..it takes ur mind to a sooothin ride...

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Twisted DNA said…

    Six years indeed is a long time! It is amazing how much we change after we stay for some time in the US. Like we are a totally different person.

    "My colleagues have a hard time getting my attention"
    Excellent! You can get some work done :)

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger Maverick said…

    great post, may be i'll write the same post four years later. n true, ones life could be counted in ones weekends here.

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Siva Jayaraman said…

    I think its time for me to get a Bose headphones...having been wanting to for some time now..your post is tempting.. :)

     
  • At 6:07 AM, Blogger rads said…

    I think me needs a pair of those. My neighbors are toooo noisy :(

    Going to school in US is in itself a wonderful experience, and I wish I couldve done it myself alone as I'd originally dreamt. I remember the lab days.. was fun :)

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Archana said…

    Wow! 6 years - congratulations :-D! It does not seem that long though does it?

    I really don't know what I would do without my headphones at work :-)! It is totally worth even the times I almost jump out of my skin when someone taps me from behind :-D!

     
  • At 5:01 AM, Blogger Aparna said…

    You had chosen to listen some of the best songs :)

    //Gosh, it was supposed to be a short post, take not more than 15 mins, but I had to ramble on.//
    But, when you had to cover what you went through in the past 6 years how could it hav been a short post? ;) Nice retrospection ;)

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Blogger SK said…

    Divya,
    Arent they awesome?! :--) Thanks!

    Daks,
    You should upload some of your music too!
    Music does soothe the stressed nerves.

    Twisted,
    Yes, you slowly change, without realizing, and then suddenly it hits you. :--)

    Maverick,
    Hope I will get to read that. :--) Yes weeks go by so fast weekends are only remembered ;--)

    Siva, You should :--) Let me know if you like them or not.

    Rads,
    I used to envy the married women studying with us, lesser tension, lesser pressure and everything. :--)

    Arch,
    thanks. Oh yes, I know! Nowadays I shifted mychair a little so I can see if someone is standing by my cube. Otherwise I jump out of my skin too :--)

    Aparna, thanks :--) You are right,I just wanted to jot down a couple of things and be done with it, but I couldnt stop after I started hehe :--)

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger rads said…

    sk - grass is always greener the other side!
    taking care of kids all day, cook dinner, clean wipe and then run to class, try not to fall asleep, and then work way into the night on a dumb-ass assignment you don't understand in the first place..

    yea sure, we have it easy :p

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger SK said…

    Hi Rads,

    :--) I am sure with the kids it must have been triply hard. Yes, grass is always greener on the other side. :--))

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com