Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
My spoilt Sunday
Sunday, March 13, 2016
Came across an a-hole( pardon my language) in a birthday party today. My blood is still boiling at the thought. May be I am blessed to be around folks that respect me, atleast pretend to to my face.

This guy comes in and he shakes hands with the guy on my left, and as if I am not existent goes on to shake hands with DH to my right. Now I understand some Indian men are very conscious about shaking hands with women. I am not. In a professional setting I voluntarily shake hands, don't flinch. But since this was not I don't mind no hand shake but what the heck happened to just acknowledging I am sitting there?

He went on to say something about how the place I work for doesn't pay a good salary. May be for the quality of work that you do!  Now what does he know about what I do or how I do or does he know how much I earn to make that comment? This came up when we were talking about vacations. I said work life balance is essential and he says you have work life balance while your husband earns for you or something like that. I could have slapped him then and there. 

For the record if I were looking for my husband to earn for me I would have married someone more educated and who is well settled as they used to call 'green card maapillai'. My dad would have definitely looked for a phd maapillai. Though hard to find in Christian communities they are not non existent. I live in the US to stay as far away from exactly the likes of him. Chavinistic morons.

I don't work for money. I know it is laughable ( and I did get some laughs) but unlike some or many, I prefer a satisfying job that makes an impact than a fat paycheck in a company that does meaningless stuff and hence is not fulfilling to me. I truly believe that money follows automatically when you give your best to your work. And that is a double bonanza! I have rejected better paying jobs for jobs I like. I know we make enough money to lead a decent life. I have never been a hoarder. Yes I have my share of likes and wants, I am sure somebody will bring in the Tesla, but I have never even imagined to live freely off of someone else's paycheck. I like to work for the kind of life I lead, and live within my means. One lady said something like ' we like to live off our husbands paychecks' I didn't know of a way to respond without coming across as anal or raising a few eyebrows, so I kept quiet. But it still bugs me like anything. 

I guess I have severe ego issues, I am fine with that. DH understands and has never been in my way. And that's precisely why I married him. 

What makes these men automatically assume I got married and came to the US? Is it written on my face? Because I am dark and fat? I would like to stay far away from these kind of men. I have managed to stay away in so many years. We get along with families were both parents are equally invested in home chores and career. Mostly same age spouses who married in lovveee. We gel better understand the dynamics and the troubles.

My blood boils. And naturally I took it all out on DH who was pretty happy with the kind of attention he got. I really wanted to talk back and be blunt at the party but I didn't want to come across as sensitive or stupid. I still feel bad I didn't give him a piece of my mind. 

For the three hours there I felt I was back in India, like a non existent wife, second citizen. I still cannot get it out of my head.  He single handedly spoiled my Sunday. 

Lastly I wish this didn't affect me as much as it did. I usually 'thanni thelichu vittufy' suck folks and don't even bother about them. But I guess it has been a long time since I was treated this way hence forgot my practiced responses. Even my in laws treat me with respect. 

Dotter on the other hand had a blast. It was her friends birthday and only two of the kids from school has been invited. (Thankfully I don't have to meet these people ever again!) The kind of treatment I have to live with for dotter! She owes me a lot ;--P


posted by SK @ 8:25 PM  
13 Comments:
  • At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Radha

    Phd maappilias dont necessarily make a lot of money, unless they move into finance.. I should know, my husband is one.. Phd :)
    Hedge fund managers and MBA types certainly..

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger SK said…

    LOL! I agree!
    All I am trying to say is, why judge a person by the amount of money he makes?
    I dont like people who run after money.
    We know great people, inventors, freedom fighters shunned money.
    May be it is just a priority thing.
    Just plain respect people for who they are, avlothan!

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Radha

    I know, i know where you were trying to go.. was just setting the record straight..:)
    I will go out on a limb and say I found people in the US a lot more materialistic and money minded than here.. - Europe.. totally put me off..
    But yes the only way to deal with such annoying men is to either ignore and laugh at their idiocy or else join in the conversation and reiterate your strong opinions multiple times.. have tried both but find the first option a lot easier these days..

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger SK said…

    I think it is more of an indian thing. Dont see americans discussing salaries.
    What about India, that is a gone case with uncles and aunties asking how much you make in a marriage gathering lol.
    May be time to seriously think of moving to Europe ;--)

    this guy had a working wife too, I pity her. I wish this didnt get me so worked up. Means I still have a lot of work to do.. on myself!

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger MK said…

    such men are common in India..yes...but there are SO MANY women who are so happy and actually brag about being married to this super-talented-super-hero-husband (which in turn boosts his ego even more,and in many cases the praise is so undeserved).I want to call these women "STUPID" and I want to call these men ,yeah right "ASSHOLES".
    Seriously,there are women who love to be bossed over.Can you believe this????

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Anonymous SK said…

    ugh seriously! I can imagine this in India, I guess I havent attended such gatherings in a long time and forgot how I should react :--P
    Yes yes I know some such women exist... :--(

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    SK Sorry not with you totally on this one. I agree with the guy being a Misogynist but then bashing India (where we and our parents were raised and were/are part of the society) is not doing anybody good.

    You are in USA and you heard this comment in USA. So why not focus on making this society better? You should have given the guy a piece of your mind - believe me that is how society changes. You left India and came to US. What are you going to do? Try to immigrate to another country rather than taking this on.

    I have stood by you on many of you stance so trying to reason with you.

    I know some of your other readers like MK are always on a lookout for an excuse to bash India. That just strikes me as hollow and not taking responsibility.

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Anonymous SK said…

    Anon
    Agree with you. I do reason with folks I meet often. Not in the first encounter, but if I meet them often I do tell them what I think. I have met men who treat their wives like she doesn't know anything, and I have told them raising a child is a very important and hard job. I have made people take a step back and be careful when talking to me.
    May be I would do it if I met that guy again for sure. I think what bugged me what that I may not meet him again to give him a piece of my mind! That sense of losing. I am sensitive and I don't make a good first impression but when I do meet people over I do talk to them about what I don't like. This post was written when I was very hurt and sensitive. I agree with you thank you for bringing this up.

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Anonymous SK said…

    But along the same lines I would still hesitate to bring this up in India. You know why because I can talk what I think and I can come back but my parents have to still meet these people day after day. And I might talk and I did to people that affect me and my surroundings, others I guess I don't. My MIL and I have arguements, she is a very broad minded lady but she helped me understand why India is the way it is. And I try to handle them and other elders without coming across as disrespectful which is a challenge. I would love to hear how you do it. I want change.

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger MK said…

    Anon is one rude reader of your blog and she loves to make personal attacks!!!!
    I am NOT against iNDIA...India stands for love,harmony,spirituality,peace,contentment,respect irrespective of gender,race and occupation -the very reason why we fold our hands and say Namaste - we greet and respect the soul that resides in all - values which we hardly see these days,in fact we are the opposite of what we were once.

    i am only against people who are stupid and narrow minded,wherever they are.and it is true that lot of people in india like the goody-2-shoes image of a woman and women who don't confer are the odd ones in the society.

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Blogger MK said…

    and oh yeah ,Anon,what did you contribute to the society because of your undying love for India,especially since you call me out as a hollow-india-basher.

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MK - so if you are not against India like you say then why drag India into a conversation about a comment made in US probably by an American. Please explain how your India-bashing helps solve the problem here in America? Please quit bashing India and start focusing on the country you live in.

    Have you been in Southern states of the USA? Have you watched the women folks in Duggar Family or heard Trump talk about women? If you want to take a stand take one against these kind of people rather than looking for soft targets.

    I might not have enriched the society much but I certainly do not go out of my way to bash a society for things happening in another.

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Anonymous SK said…

    Anon
    If you know MK, you will know she has her heart in the right place. She talks her mind out which may irk those that don't know her. Peace.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com