|
| Milestone of sorts |
| Monday, November 24, 2014 |
I have been wanting to watch Intersteller ever since it came out a few weeks ago. Both K and I have been fascinated with space since our trip to DC and visiting the Air and Space Museum. I even came back and looked for jobs in NASA :--P too bad they only employ citizens of the country, so my dream of working on NASA will have to wait a couple more years.
So our options were not many -
1) Take BSK to the theater and be sure to be interrupted many time over, shouted, disturbed and most likely be thrown out of the theater by other viewers
2) Go for a super late night movie when BSK is asleep, and erm risk falling asleep yourself and having a hell of a next day when you are sleepy but BSK is not.
3) Go for a drive in movie theater so BSK can sleep in the car, but the nearest such theater showing Interstellar was a good 50mins away.
So Saturday we made a deal with a friend of ours. We go to the movie leaving BSK with them and then they go to the movie leaving their son with them. Haah! What are friends for if they cannot help in time of dire need. But turns out R was not too much into space movies hence the couple got a rain check for I movie release. Works for me!
Cooked, fed, bathed, dressed and dropped BSK at 2:15 at their place. Little guy R had just fallen asleep and BSK wouldnt sleep. I felt guilty, but BSk was a doll. I gave her a paper and pen and told her Dad and I had a meeting with Nolan Uncle and we will bring chocolate covered raisins when we are back. She was happy drawing when I kissed her on her cheeks and left.
Another couple with two kids whose parents were visiting were frantically trying to put their kids to sleep so they can join us for the movie. We all finally made it at the neck of the time. 2:55 show. I got tickets at 2:55. And by the time we got out popcorn and coffee and water, and restroom trips, it was 3:10. And the movie started.
Spoiler Alert. Dont read this part if you dont want to know what happens in the movie Intersteller.
First few minutes dragged on, DH said he almost slept off. Then finally the main character got on to the space shuttle and the movie really started. Picturization wise, I missed Gravity like shots. Very rudimentary it felt. But time lapse, worm hole, black hole fascinating. Also tesseract - which I found very difficult to comprehend in the movie. It takes on a fantasy ride. Just how would it be to go to another galaxy! I have major gripe against space exploration, on why we dont have pleasure trips into space. :--P Cmon guys in NASA, high time. Will it happen in my lifetime? When explorers got on a ship to cross the Atlantic, did they know what they would find? They still though earth was flat and that they might fall off the edge of the earth. How much courage would you need. In this movie too, the characters risk not seeing their family in the near future and take off on a journey to save human kind. How amazing could it be to go to a different plant. What could be there? How would it be formed? Thinking about this, as I watched the movie, I couldnt help but analyze how complex and intricate a series of events must have happened for us humans to be here on earth. And also just how minisule on time on earth is. And just how insignificant our time is compared to all of the universe and all the stuff that has been happening since the Big Bang.
Time. I cannot think of time as not a constant. I have a big problem with it. How can the 'time' taken to take one step on earth be different from the "time" taken to take one step close to a black hole? Time dilation. I am still reading stuff to try to understand this. And how utterly fascinating.
I wanted to go to the other planet. I wanted to go through the worm hole. Go close to the black hole :--P gosh seriously. To think there are things that are much much bigger than us, makes everything we do in this world so insignificant. We humans think we control the world but really to what extent?
Science is more closely tied to spirituality and the higher being.
There are so many questions, and so many theories.
What is the life of humans on earth? What will happen another billions of years from now.
Space is so mysterious and fascinating, waiting to be discovered and explored.
I didnt buy into the whole story of love thing. It was not so believably portrayed.
What I liked about the movie was it made me fantasize. It made me dream. It made me think. Of what it could be. It intrigued me. Heck it makes me want to be reborn centuries after when space travel will be the norm and we would know the deep kept secrets of the night sky.
Spoiler End if that gave away anything, but I wanted to cover my behind :--P
We picked up BSK when the movie ended and madame seemed to be too happy with R and A. Didnt miss us at all. :--P Definitely a milestone for us, to leave BSK with someone and start going out to do stuff on our own. Really need it for our own sanity sake.
Mr S is visiting from India for a month and he stopped by last night. To say it is an immense pleasure to just know him and get his time on his calendar to spend time with us is a big deal. :--P He can talk about anything and everything under the sun. While I waited for my cooker with radish sambhar to get done, we were talking about environment, sustainability, he wanted to turn off the TV that was on pause. His start up is doing amazing work. We ended up talking about space time, SpaceX, incidentally he knows the guy that runs the company and had lunch with himz. Ok! Can I get a job there please?
While the yummy dosas with yummier idli podi were being devoured, he recommended quite a few books to read to wrap our heads around the concepts. Mr S is one of those guys who can inspire you and motivate you and highly command respect, while gnawing on mild humor too, adding lot of affection and friendship. How we miss him! Why o why did you have to move to India!
I was listening to A brief History of Time on the way to work. I wish I could sit and read a real book but I cannot even wait the two days it takes for Amazon Prime to ship it to me. Plus I have Audible credits anyway waiting to be used.
With Thanksgiving around the corner I hope to read some more books on space, and universe etc, too fascinated with it now. Any book recos to add to my list?
|
posted by SK @ 12:21 PM  |
|
| 3 Comments: |
-
So the husband and I just take a couple of hours off and go watch a movie, while the kids are in school...on a weekday :)!
We watched Interstellar last week on my birthday and I had the same feelings as you. Movie/lunch dates are something we can pull off easily now, and we try to do it atleast once every week.
Books - what kind of stuff do you want to read? Try "the magic of reality" by Dawkins or "thinking fast and slow" by Kahnemann. I have more recommendations if you need - ping me!
-
Just to be clear - we don't bunk office. We take the time off, tell the group and go. It just works better that way (for us) than finding someone else on weekends!
-
couple of hours will be spent commuting to meet up, DH works in SF and me in Santa Clara :--) We do occasionally take a day off and do something, half a day is usually not useful.
Thanks for the reco! will check it out, will ping :--)
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
So the husband and I just take a couple of hours off and go watch a movie, while the kids are in school...on a weekday :)!
We watched Interstellar last week on my birthday and I had the same feelings as you. Movie/lunch dates are something we can pull off easily now, and we try to do it atleast once every week.
Books - what kind of stuff do you want to read? Try "the magic of reality" by Dawkins or "thinking fast and slow" by Kahnemann. I have more recommendations if you need - ping me!