|
| Of singing and such |
| Friday, November 14, 2014 |
A friend heard me on the phone and said I have a sweet voice.
I hear this a lot. In Church, invariably the person in front of me turns back and says I have a lovely voice or that I sing well. I love singing, let the emotions flow, do that fade in/fade out one of the choir ladies taught me.
I was in the choir in F Town church for a while and it was a proper old ladies choir :--P, the conductor lady even referred me to a voice specialist, who taught me how to make an O when singing to have better sound coming out of me.
I learnt about Soprano, Bass, Alto and Tenor in the choir in Madison. The choir was full of music majors, so yes I learnt a LOT. All the four came together to make such a wonderful rendition. Anywhere I go this choir is my baseline. No choir has come to match this one.
Before that I have been exposed to Tamil Hindi film songs ;--) and Carnatic Music. And my Tamil Church choir ofcourse.
My parents both sing well. Some Sundays, me, mom and dad would sing songs, which would be a mix of Christian and old film songs and some hindi songs, while my brother would accompany with Tabla.
My mom and I would sing in "Quarters Day" celebrations and Church "Fancy Fete"s. My Mom is a better singer than I am. She has a lovely voice.
Oh I was also in School Assembly Choir in KV. Not in PSBB because that school had Harini and Shobhana in the Choir.
My first time away from family was for a music competition in Lucknow for our school. 15 days with friends in a cold cold place. I performed once in College Culturals with another girl. It was a good experience. Although was quite scary. I was in second year and it is a high stress performance, you might get chappals and tomatoes if you are bad. :--P Performed at work! in 2009 or something, dont know what I was thinking, but I did, sang, Pyar hua chupke se. Never again :--P
I havent sung in a few years now. Since BSK was born. I have managed to be the choir since I was 12! Now the choir in our church is all kids.
I do miss singing. Not sure if you 'forget' singing if you dont singing for awhile, but I do find hitting the notes in some attempts hard. DH bugs me to join one of the many performing music groups in the area. But the time commitment is too much. Although I would love to do it.
Music brings me peace. It relaxes me. It soothes my nerves. It is an excellent stress buster. It also takes me into a world of my own, lost in my head, I cannot afford losing myself somuch anymore thanks to all the practical commitments I have.
So last week I was frantically searching for the few recordings I had made when this 'singing bug' bit me. I have another blog rhythm and booms, but unfortunately some of my songs are lost because esnips does not exist anymore. :--(
But I was able to salvage two songs, I will shamelessly replug it here. Been listening to this for an hour now, not tired. Bad quality recording.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7090796
So I went to my old post where I had posted this recording, and saw the comments. Remembered Mr OK. ;--), Daisy, did you realize we have known each other for so long?
Serendipity.... my heart skipped a beat. A lively young woman, so full of zest for life, no more among us. I think it is ok to write about her. May her soul rest in peace. God can be so unfair sometimes.
|
posted by SK @ 2:45 PM  |
|
| 3 Comments: |
-
Wow wow wow..I dint know you are such a paadagi :) Have you sung that song for real???It sounds like the actual singer's voice.Super SK!
-
I totally forgot that you used to sing.. and I cant believe we have known each other for that long..
Mr. OK- yenga ponan avan? do miss his sarcasm ;)
I dont think I used to follow serendipity.. if I may ask, yenanchu? did you know her?
BTW- please continue singing ok?
-
::--) thanks Ladies
Daisy, OK, no idea. Serendipity, will email.
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
Wow wow wow..I dint know you are such a paadagi :)
Have you sung that song for real???It sounds like the actual singer's voice.Super SK!