|
| Say what's different? |
| Tuesday, April 17, 2007 |
My hair needed an extreme makeover. I love straight hair. I almost ruined my hair by using the iron every week without fail to look nice for just the weekend, and then putting all of it in a pony tail on Monday.
After one of my friends said, its bad for the hair, I stopped straightening it, and really I missed my straight hair so much. I dropped by the Salon on Saturday with DH on an impulse. I wanted a hair cut. I absolutely love what the Salon can do to my otherwise pathetic hair. It looks so shiny and silky smooth after a visit to the Salon. Again on an impulse, I asked them if I can do a permanent straightening. The lady was only too eager to do it for me. It cost a fortune. DH had already left to do some errands, so I had to call him up and ask his permission, I am a good wife you know ;--), also it was a chance for someone to stop catering to my obssessive compulsive tempations. But alas! DH said, Ok too!
Then on it was a contest between my fear of going bald, and having nice straight hair for a couple of months [before I go bald that is].
As they put the stinky smelling chemical on my hair layer by layer, I imagined horrible things happening to my hair, its roots, imagined them dying, imagined them asking me,"Why are you doing this to us?" in a pleading way.
My hair looked nice and straight after just applying the chemical. I asked the lady if I can just leave with this, I looked fine. She laughed said, she didnt charge a fortune for just this much. The whole process took about 3 hours. Three hair washes, two ironing, two chemicals applied.
I should say my hair looked nice and silky after everything. In fact it looked so nice, I didnt want to cut anymore of my hair. The lady just trimmed the ends, and I was all set.
DH said it looked 'different'. Unnatural? I asked. It looked like Monica's hair in Friends, really I cant imagine that kinda hair on me, and yet here I was! DH calls me 'straight-mudi-kaari' now. :--)
Well thats not the end of the story.
Even though I let my hair loose on weekends, on weekdays I dutifully tie it up and go to work. Somewhere deep in me, it is rooted that it is not 'obedient' to let your hair loose and go to school or college or work ;--) Thats just me. But now I didnt want to bury my hair in a pony tail after spending so much on straightening it right. So I left it open and went to work. It felt weird really.
The guy-next-cube looks at me and goes, 'You look different. what did you do?' I said I did something to my hair. He goes, 'So how was it before?' He really starts thinking! And then he goes 'well.. it looks... weird...' !!!!!!! Whoa?!! All that money, to look ..weird?!
The guy-opposite-cube drops by and he goes, 'what did you do?' I told him something that in short translates to 'Please ignore what I have done to my hair, its none of your business'
But of course, two more guys had to ask what was 'different' about me that day. I went for lunch with some friends and the guys go 'You look different, what did you do?'
One of the managers saw me and told me 'You look different' [I know, it is tiring to hear them again and againa right?] And when I said about my hair, he too started wondering how it used to be before!!
I should tell at this point, that none of the girls who saw me said I looked different, they instantly spotted that I had straightened my hair. And of course they asked me where I had done it, how much it cost etc etc etc.
Its funny that guys were able to see that something was different but they were not able to really isolate what was different. :--))
So anyways, I do pray I wont go bald here on. I like the way my hair looks now, but I keep thinking, deep down the roots of my hair are dead or have become brittle and are waiting for me to have a head bath before falling all together.
I have resolved to take good care of my hair from now on, to make up for the torture I have put them through. Lot of Vitamin E, and Calcium and Protein. And Oil bath once a week. I got a bunch of ideas from various girl friends, and I will try to incorporate them to make sure I dont go bald. Even if I do go bald, DH dear, promise me you will not leave me and go, for I gave you a chance to stop me from doing this to myself. :--P |
posted by SK @ 7:08 AM  |
|
| 2 Comments: |
-
Funny story :-))! Neat :-)! I got my hair straightened this time I went to India (have done it before too) - don't worry, you won't go bald - I haven't yet and its three years since I first tried it :-D!
You are so right about guys not figuring out ath. That was why I was surprised when a male cousin took one look at me and went "Oh, you have straightened your hair." Turns out one of his male, yup male, friends had apparently had his very curly hair straightened. These days, anyone who calls females as being too much into looks should be kicked :-P!
-
Hey Archana, You dont know how GLAD I felt to read this comment. :--) Three times and no baldness, then I should be okay I suppose.
Yes nowadays men are totally into looks too, what with the hair gel and hours in front of the mirror to get the 'look' :--))
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
Funny story :-))! Neat :-)! I got my hair straightened this time I went to India (have done it before too) - don't worry, you won't go bald - I haven't yet and its three years since I first tried it :-D!
You are so right about guys not figuring out ath. That was why I was surprised when a male cousin took one look at me and went "Oh, you have straightened your hair." Turns out one of his male, yup male, friends had apparently had his very curly hair straightened. These days, anyone who calls females as being too much into looks should be kicked :-P!