How little can you live with? How much little space can you live in?
It is a recent fad of the millennials to live in tiny places. Hong Kong has tiny apartments and so does Singapore I believe. Europe has embraced small homes, IKEA has a plethora of ideas to make small spaces functional. The more I think of it, the grandiose big homes with big lots and large elaborate rooms, don't impress me anymore.
When I was in F town, I was awed whenever I visited someone's home, as in a true single family home, and frankly one day longed for the American Dream of a nice home. Alas we could live under the same roof only if we moved to Bay Area one of the most expensive places in the country.
1700 sq ft of living space was small from F town standards. I didn't have space to keep all the stuff I wanted to own. The house had no storage space whatsoever. Our first addition to the house were garage cabinets. India suitcases got dedicated space and so did camping items among a paraphernalia of things we accumulated over the years.
Little BSK took up half the house. I didn't stop myself from buying everything that I saw mentioned as needed for a baby. Playard and jumperoos were barely used before gathering dust in the garage. Most stuff was accumulated. In this country getting rid of the stuff is as difficult as earning to buy them! It didn't sell on Craigslist for some reason. I ended giving most of the stuff away to our Mexican cleaning ladies with large families. Most of dotter's stuff has been purged save for her crib. It is still lying adjacent to our bed, because there is no space in the garage for it. I wouldn't say it is in a bad condition, the white color is still nice and bright after 5 years of use. But nobody wants it on Craigslist. My gut feeling is it would also sleep in many more Mexican kids for free for the next few years.
As I went through the motions of the morning in the kitchen, making coffee/tea and Bournvita I observed the utensils I used regularly. They were not many. Especially after switching to Induction I have managed to cook in very few pots and pans. I don't buy dabbas at random or buy cutlery at random. I am totally over these fancy experiments in the kitchen which require ingredients that I would not use otherwsie and hence take wasteful space in the kitchen without use. I use my kitchen a lot, but I have enough space now.
After looking at compact homes for a couple of weeks I find them kind of appealing. It might stop me from hoarding things. I invite lot of people home for Christmas, once a year. This year since it started has not seen anyone other than us three in the house. We have been quite solitary, busy in our own worlds. May be we don't need a lot of living space. I could take it as a challenge to fit in all that we want in a compact space. May be I will stop buying everything I fancy on a whim.
The next house is going to be our abode of existence for many years as they will call it the prime of our life. Is it wise to spend it in a cramped space?
Smaller spaces are easier to renovate and make it modern and contemporary. Bigger houses not so much.
Small is appealing. I am not sure if it will be followed by regret
I am a little bit excited. A lot nervous.
January started off so quietly with nothing to look forward to in the year. And suddenly I have a house to sell, a move, amidst an out of country work trip, and an out of country vacation and a birthday celebration. And a new life to look forward to.
This is apparently a good time to sell. The market is just reaching for the stars like there is no tomorrow. More purging is to ensue, dump anything not used in a year. Thank god my closet has already been purged. As has my kitchen. Boxes have been bought. Packing of the no essentials will be done this weekend. Furniture bought with all the research need to go to storage. Home inspection needs to be done. Interior needs to be painted. It feels like getting a bride ready for ponnu paarthal. I believe she is great, but she has to impress the buyer. How long will she be in the market? Will she be picked and snatched away quickly? Or will she rot in the market for long? I hear it is a sellers market now.
JSK's school is a big question mark now. What a comedy, I cannot help but laugh. I thought I had it all figured out. I hate to be unprepared for such big things.
Poor thing will have to move a couple schools enforce settling down. Hopefully she will adjust. Need to rent a place so I can apply for her school. When to rent? When will the house sell? Will everything work out before dotters school starts?
Busy summer ahead.
|
good luck u guys .May your new home be blessed.