|
| Health is wealth |
| Wednesday, November 08, 2006 |
My Dad often said these words. Health is wealth. He is a fitness freak, I would exactly call him a freak, but to Indian standards, he was. He did not go to the gym everyday and work out to build muscles, LOL!, its funny to even think about something like that, but for exercise he used to just walk around the house, from living room to bedrooms to and fro, with some speed. And sometimes he went to the terrace to do the same. And he used to pester others in the family to also do the same! I just thought it was stupid, then. Well, I was young, and not necessarily needing much exercise.
Even diet-wise he used to make my Mom make bland food, with less salt, and less spice. Mom endured all my taunts about how bad the food was. At that time I didnt know salt added flavor and taste to the food, I just kept scolding Mom for not making good food. Then Mom would come by and do her magic, aka, put some salt, and food would become all tasty again!
When I go to India for my short 3 weeks visits, Dad hoards me with fresh home made fruit juice atleast thrice a day.
He takes good care of his health, so touch wood, he is pretty fit for his age, no pressure, no sugar, no cholestrol, and all the bad things.
Now lets shift the focus back to yours truly.
At work, they are encouraging all of us to take a Health Check up. The encouragement is one of a kind that definitely works. Money! ;--D Instead of spending money to go to a doc and getting the check up done, you get money for having your health checked. That works really nice for everyone doesnt it.
So I went last week, they took my height and weight. I just realized I was an inch shorter than I thought. What a bummer! That got my assumed BMI all messed up. Next was blood test. The guy could not find a vein on the inside of my elbow and continued to poke around the insides, like he was sewing or something. He finally gave up and took the blood from the other side of my palm. And I got the first half of the promised money. Grinning widely at the free money inspite of the two needle pricked bandages I went back to my building.
Saturday morning, I saw that I had gotten my results. Apparently I was leaning towards high blood pressure, my cholestrols levels were okay, and my weight was a problem, because of my misjudged height. :--( Can someone become shorter with age?
So this weekend was all about living a healthy life. Its nice to take care what you eat and get mandatory exercise everyday so that all the bad so called diseases and problems stay out of our ways. My Dad was no doubt happy to hear me rant about healthy living styles.
I made rasam and sundal and vendaikkai curry ( for the brains ;--P). DH drank the rasam in a glass with the 'Appadiye saapiduven' look. I used to not like rasam as much when I was back home. But after this weekend, I just love rasam. the pepper and the tangy taste give the rasam a great quality taste, and it is good for health too. Saturday night we went for a long walk, after dinner to give our metabolism a boost, so it doesnt get converted to all fat over night.
I have also succeeded in coaxing DH to be health conscious to a certain extent. Everytime he eats those cookies, I show him how many calories there are and how all the running he did in the gym would just compensate for the five cookies he is eating at one go. :--D I am not for not eating totally, but for eating with a conscience.
So on my agenda for this month, I have, adapt a healthy living style.
PS1: My iPod, DH reset it and it started playing! Although it is hanging too often, I am just going to live with it until it totally dies before taking it to the Apple Center. So for now I am good. And dont ask me why I didnt think of resetting it earlier. Because, I thought, and still believe Apple products are not like Microsoft products where resetting would just shoo away the problem. My iPod is just an exception.
PS2: Its raining vacations and celebrations, now that our major milestone is done with. For all the *ahem* hardwork we did over the last couple of months, we have all of Thanksgiving week, yes, I said week, and not weekend, off! :--D Keeping my fingers crossed so DH can also get some days off during that time so we can do something fun. Most of last week, we had send off lunches as people moved to different teams, and happy hours, and ice cream socials, no wonder I havent lost any pounds over last week. :--( |
posted by SK @ 6:38 AM  |
|
| 3 Comments: |
-
for exercise he used to just walk around the house, from living room to bedrooms to and fro, with some speed. And sometimes he went to the terrace to do the same. And he used to pester others in the family to also do the same!
That is SO like my dad :-D! You can also add the fruits and fruit juices portion to the similarities :-D!
Good luck with your new health and fitness regime!
Phew - you really lost an inch off your height??? I think I shd go and check mine now - I might have grown short even without knowing it :-0!!
And I wish someone would pay me to check my health :-D! Lucky you!
And (final paragraph, promise), have fun with your non-busy time at work :-D!
-
lol at ur stature diminishing over the years :) rasam/sundal/vendakkai curry - hmmmm...sooper combo, no wonder the BMI is all messed up ;)
enjoy ur thxgivin vacation!
-
Arch, Our Dads sound so similar :--)) Reg height, :--(, let me know if its happening to everyone. :--| I am getting bored with less work now, dont know what to do with all the time :--))
Prabhu, hehe, all of them are non fatty food items prabhu, weight podadhu :--)) Of course, and you too!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
for exercise he used to just walk around the house, from living room to bedrooms to and fro, with some speed. And sometimes he went to the terrace to do the same. And he used to pester others in the family to also do the same!
That is SO like my dad :-D! You can also add the fruits and fruit juices portion to the similarities :-D!
Good luck with your new health and fitness regime!
Phew - you really lost an inch off your height??? I think I shd go and check mine now - I might have grown short even without knowing it :-0!!
And I wish someone would pay me to check my health :-D! Lucky you!
And (final paragraph, promise), have fun with your non-busy time at work :-D!