|
| Saturday project and other things |
| Tuesday, November 21, 2006 |
After much deliberation and thought into the decision making process, we finally did it! We bought a dining table! Before making the decision we analyzed the pros and cons of buying it. Although the Cons were weay more than the Pros, the final weighing factor on the Pros side was, I really liked it :--D
We drove about 30 miles with the table jutting out of the trunk, tied loosely by a string. Everytime we went over an upward slope I was scared the package might break through the twine and go tumbling down the highway. Of course I even thought of fatal accidents, but lets not talk about it now. We thought about the centre of gravity, science we had studied long ago, so long ago, and pacified ourselves thinking, as long as the centre of gravity of the package is in the car, it will not fall off. Thankfully it lasted all the way home.
The project started at around 3:00PM after lunch and a short nap. It wasnt as difficult as our previous project, the chest of drawers. Also all the provisions including the drivers were provided with the package. First we fixed the table, it was just 16 screws. Then we built the chairs. It was all done by 6:00PM. I had a light back ache due to all the bending. Nevertheless it was a fun task. I am putting a picture of our project, for one of my dedicated readers. :--)
******
This weekend has also been a weekend of fatalities. Like Dustin Hoffman as Raymond put it in Rain man, which I will talk about later. I hurt my finger while hurriedly running from one room to another to look for my cell phone. Anything involving blood, even a tiny bit of it, is fatal, according to me. The blood just didnt stop while I was wiping it using normal kitchen towel. It stopped once I put some cotton. How does that happen? I burnt my hand while making chappathis. I have a reddish black mark on my hand. And then, I hit my head on a wedge over the fireplace. Now that was the biggest. I still have a bump on my head and it still hurts. I am waiting for something weird to happen, like go insane, remember Tom and Jerry, where Tom will start acting like a retard when Jerry hits him with a plank on his head? And all this within a span of two days.
******
Watched a whole bunch of movies, while forgetting to attend a friend's send off dinner party. The Edge was way too good for words. Alaska is in our list of places to visit. Before we got married we made a list of places we wanted to see, and the list of fun things we wanted to do. We are only half way through I think. I am diverting. The movie was excellent. I adore the character of Anthony Hopkins. He comes up with all kinds of ideas to find their way back. He makes a compass out of a needle. The idea is so simple. I learnt a lot about bears. Now I am only too scared of bears, even thought now I know of a way to kill one ;--D The picturization is out of the world, as is Alaska.
The other movie which touched my heart was Rain Man. My oh my, Dustin Hoffman has done such a wonderful job, I suspected him to have won some awards and he did. His talent with numbers was mind blowing. Tom Cruise and him together make about $85,000, in Las Vegas, thanks to his talent. For once, in a movie starring Tom Cruise, I was focussing my attention on someone other than him :--D I googled Autism and read about it. Did you know Autism is derived from Auto - meaning self, people with autism are seldom aware of others, they are always into their own selves. The part of the mind which is aware of what and how the others think, develops when we are about five. With autism that part is not developed. The ones with autism generally have some extraordinary capability, and in the movie Dustin was excellent with numbers and with memory. Once Tom Cruise and him stay in a hotel, and Dustin is worried he doesnt have a book to read. Tom gives him the telephone directory. Dustin memorizes the people and their phone numbers! Till G - half of G, he puts it.
****
I went to office twice briefly yesterday. As I passed a few aisles I wanted to point and laugh. I was on vacation, while these poor people were working. I tripped over the power cord of my laptop and my laptop fell thud onto the floor. Hard disk got corrupted so I had to take it in to fix it. Yesterday I was without my laptop for exactly 5 hours, and I missed it so much.
*****
After hunting around quite a bit to find a book that would captivate my attention enough so I will finish it, I settled on A brief history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson. I am enjoying this book. If you enjoy subtle humor, coupled with science, this would be a great pick. |
posted by SK @ 6:56 AM  |
|
| 6 Comments: |
-
heyy, supper dining table...expect pannathu vida perusaa iruku, SK..good work :-) engha table chinnathaa iruku actually :p
-
Hey Thanks a lot J! :--))
-
Good job assembling...
Dining table sari, but do you ever sit on it and eat? I have to have a TV or a lappie in front of me to eat :)
Okay, Edge/Rainman recommended - paakren...
Chapathi suttu kaiyila ratham-aa?
-
so who's the dedicated reader you put your picture for
-
Hey, table looks awesome :-))!
I liked Rainman a lot too! I think I read through most of Brief History of Everything but had to stop unavoidably. Thanks for reminding me - shd get it from the library sometime :-)!
How was thanksgiving?
-
Prabhu, You are sooo right. :--)) I need my laptop or TV while eating. But when we have friends over, or guests, appo than dining table use aagum. Chappathi suttu kai-la burn, not bloood. :-))
Spark, Of course it is the one person who reads anything I write. :--)
Archana, Thanks! Yes you should finish that book, I liked that book a lot, something that managed to keep me interested longer than usual. Thanksgiving was great, zoomed by fast though. I am sad getting back to work. :--(
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
heyy, supper dining table...expect pannathu vida perusaa iruku, SK..good work :-) engha table chinnathaa iruku actually :p