|
| Away from home |
| Monday, April 07, 2008 |
First time ever that I stayed away from family was when I was 11 years old, studying in Std Seven. A little background plus some story before the real deal. I dont know if our Music teacher hand picked us, or was it voluntary, somehow I ended up in the school choir. We had practice sessions everyday during Lunch hour. And we had Math Class everyday 6th period, right after lunch. Music Madam always went past lunch time. Math Madam hated the fact that I was going to these Music classes. I think, she thought my talent was being wasted in Music ;--) She stubbornly used to make us stand outside the class, even if we were even like ten minutes late. So everyday lunch hour was a gamble. Will Music Madam leave us on time to make it to the Math Class? Most of the times, we had to race from the Music room to our class room, and sit in the class huffing and puffing. Sometimes we were lucky, I attended the Math Class, sometimes unlucky, stood outside the class, wait for a glare from Math Madam as she left the class at the end. But I mostly topped Math, be assured.
We were mostly practicing for this all KV Music Competition. Somehow miraculaously won the South India Region, and were given a chance to participate in the All India KV Music Competition. And the competition happened to be right at the time when we had our Half Yearly Exams. And it was in Lucknow. Math Madame was personally angry at me I think. I remember she told me that I was very good at Math, and she wanted to coach me to get a centum in Board Exams, and if I dont take studies seriously, it might not happen. In spite of all that, I guess I was excited to go alone on a trip, or something, got exams waived and set off happily with the music troop.
The real deal. Three of us girls were the youngest in the group, in a group that spanned from Std 7 to Std 10. We went in December so it was cold. I liked it. The morning mist, the teeth chattering cold, being from Chennai, I really liked it. We stayed in a school, in one of the classrooms, with the benches moved to the sides. The shower was scary and funny I remember, with limited hot water. I had to wash my own clothes for the very first time. The food was different. North Indian, with roti and sabji and some rice.
After the initial few days, the trip was supposed to be for about 10 days, I dont exactly remember, I felt very lonely. I thought the other girls, were getting more attention than me and I felt bad. I used to write them in my diary. I also wrote letters to my Dad twice, detailing on everything from my experience to how I missed being home.
I distinctly remember just a couple of incidents. One of the 10Std Akkas told us the story of the Movie Evil Dead, one night. We were all lying down on the floor with all our heads together. I dont remember if I was very scared. I never watched English movies then, so I wasnt really able to associate. The second incident happened when we went sight seeing in Lucknow. My Dad had given me 300Rs I think, just in case I wanted to buy anything. I didnt have to spend much money as everything was provided for. I had this money in a little purse. First time ever I was handling money as well. We were in some palace or fort I dont remember much, I lost my purse. Towards the end of the tour I realized it and I was literally crying. Then somehow some good gentleman found it and returned it to the teacher who was with us. From then on, the teacher said she will have my purse and money and I can ask her for it if I wanted money for anything. I became popular then, everyone came to know me as 'the-girl-who-lost-her-money' Needless to say I totally spent about 30Rs to buy some souveniors, and took the rest of the money back intact.
I very much remember the competition itself. Though we did good, we didnt win. It was a bummer.
And I very much remember the return journey. By this time all of us had become very good friends, as is the case with any tour. We played a lot of games on the train. There was this goonda who got in our cabin in Bhopal Station, and made some mischief with me and another girl. I was shaken up a little. My very first experience with eve/girl teasing.
Finally we reached Chennai Central Station. I was so eager and happy to see my Dad standing at the Station. I gave him a bear hug. I must have looked very dirty with all the travel. My Dad took me straight to a Restroom in the Station, and asked me to wash up and to put on some clean clothes.
I didnt fight with my parents for many days after the trip, as I realized how much they provided for me, how much pain they took to keep me comfortable, most important of all how secured I felt under their eyes. But of course over the course of time, things went back to normal, as in fights resumed. My Math teacher was a little cold to me, I felt, when I returned back. She usually asked me to take the test notes to the Staff Room after weekly tests, she didnt ask me a couple of times after my return. But I proved my caliber by scoring high marks in the next tests, and things were back to normal. Those were the only set of Exams I skipped. That was the first time I came first in my class. Inspite of skipping exams.
So when was the first time you stayed away from home? |
posted by SK @ 6:48 PM  |
|
| 6 Comments: |
-
Nice read SK...the gooda incident must hv been real scary !
I frankly don't remember the first time I stayed away from home...one of the earliest was when I was 6 years old and I went to a yoga camp for more then a month :-)
-
Awww... this is such a cute post. I mean its soooo simple and naive. Almost like the 7th std. sk wrote it:).
I am not sure. If you dont include stays at cousing place, I think the first time was right after my JEE exam.
-
Interesting! Now that you mention, since I never was in a hostel, the first time I really went away from home on my own was at the ripe age of 22, on my first job :D. All it was, was to go to Chennai, live in a swanky hotel for 2 days, work in the office right across from the hotel and fly back. I will never forget those 2 days in my life.
Not only was it my first flight, I had no idea of tortures like air pressure and ear ache, I had no idea what it would be to stay in an unknown city in a hotel room. I was scared the hotel staff would stealthily come in(since they have a master key) at night and (oh, i dont know) do something! So I kept my lights on and stared at the door all night for two nights in a row. Ya, no kidding.
So that was my first trip on my own, away from home. Now 10 yrs+ I am a few thousand miles away from the safety of my home. How far I have come, eh?
-
Very nice post! Brought back memories of many many trips away from home. Mine was when I was in 7th std. I traveled to Coimbatore from Chennai to visit my aunt and g.parents. Was fun filled. Don't think I missed home though :)
-
Shilpa, Thankoo! Wow! Alone as a 6 yr old must have been scary albeit exciting! :--))
Ok, Yeah cousins place not counted. :--) Acho you are insulting my writing skills :--P
Altoid, Haha, I can imagine. Those first times are always evergreen. Come to think of it, the first time I ever stayed in a hotel was in the US. It was quite an experience.
Laksh, Lucky you! :--) Thanks!
-
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
Nice read SK...the gooda incident must hv been real scary !
I frankly don't remember the first time I stayed away from home...one of the earliest was when I was 6 years old and I went to a yoga camp for more then a month :-)