Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
Cruising across the Caribbean - Will it happen?
Monday, May 11, 2009
Prelude

Do you remember the first time you boarded an airplane? I am not asking those rich kids that did so when they were too young to even realize they were on a plane, but the middle class folks like me, who boarded a plane at the ripe age of 21. I do, like it was yesterday. I remember struggling to put the seat belt, and to push the seat further down to make myself comfortable. I remember staring at the big wing of Lufthansa, as I sat by the window, travelling all alone to an unknown country several thousand miles away. I remember watching my German neighbours eat some strange looking food with a fork and knife and trying to ape them. I remember walking into the tiny space called the washroom, amazed at how self sufficient it was. I remember trying to decipher the safety instructions the air host was spitting out, with utmost concentration, my life depended on it. I remember following two seventeen year olds who were also enroute to Chicago, to get to the gate at the stopover in Frankfurt. Oh and I remember being awed, mouth gaping, heart beating fast, as the plane took off. Take offs and landings were the most interesting of the whole plane journey, a few years after, I never missed a take off or landing no matter how tired I was. A tiny excitement at being alone in this whole wide world, masked by the giant fear.

I can hear you go, bah, enough drama already! :--)

Well, having been in the US for so long now, I thought I had seen it all, experienced it all. Will I ever have the feeling of trying something brand new, the adrenaline rush at being some place brand new, the curiosity in trying to know how things work?

Until we decided to go on a Cruise.

It was our fourth wedding anniversay last month. [I had a whole post planned which didnt materialize] I had some money I got as an award at work which expired this year. So we decided to club it and go on a Cruise. I was not so excited about the Cruise as I was about the places we would visit while on the Cruise. DH is a sucker for ships, because his Dad works at a port.

As I mentioned earlier, it was crazy hectic the couple of weeks before we were off, and the day finally dawned when we finally took off. We were to fly to Fort Lauderdale the night before, and we were supposed to board the Cruise the next day around noon.

We were finally all set at the airport with laptops and movies and headphones and snacks, when the news comes. Flight to Houston which was our stopover was delayed by 3 hours due to weather. Wats up with weather issues in Spring time, that too in Texas of all places? The problem with coast to coast flights are, if we miss something, its bound to be an overnight hurdle, due to the time difference.
Leaving out the gory details, we were this close to missing the cruise itself, thanks to the weather. We called up the airlines, the cruise lines and every other possible line, to see if we can somehow make it without further issues.
After all the hungama and bye byes at work, it sure would have sucked to go back to work. Believe me, we were very close to that happening.

Finally our flight took off to Houston and reached with 20mins to spare to catch the connecting flight. Houston saw us running from one terminal to another to catch the connecting flight. Now our only concern was that our luggage should make it safe and sound. I saw the whole Europe episode threatening to repeat itself. But atleast we would make it to the cruise. So what if we wore the same couple of clothes all week long, no?
But thank God, really, thank you God, I prayed fervently to God all through the flights, everything was fine, and we were in Fort Lauderdale the night before with plenty of time to spare to board the cruise the next day.

We had in a hurry cancelled our hotel reservations too, as we were not sure if we would make it on time. So we had to make another reservation, thanks to iPhone, while on the flight.

Day 0

Bright and sunny. Breakfast at the hotel, and we took the shuttle to Port Everglades. Once we were dropped some workers at the port look our luggage right away. I have a phobia of losing luggage. You would too if you spent the vacation of your life in Europe, your honeymoon, with three pairs of clothes. Turns out the whole darn area was for one ship only. About 3300 passengers. 3300!! We learnt later, there were about 1200 crew members onboard. So almost a mini city in motion, the ship was. We had tagged our luggage with our stateroom numbers, so we can expect it to be delivered in our rooms later in the afternoon.

We stood in a long line of security and boarding. We were one of the very few Indians around. We saw the ship from land and it look sooooooo huge!! Sometimes we had trouble distinguishing the ship from buildings around. It looked magnificent and majestic. And of course we were reminded of Titanice as we boarded the ship finally on to Deck 3.

Entering the ship was not like entering a ship at all. It was like entering a jazzy hotel in Las Vegas. Colorful dancing lights, lively decor, nope, not what I expected on a ship.

Our rooms were not ready, and we were directed to Deck 9, which was open deck with pool and seaside theater and bar and buffet. Lunch was being served already! I dont know where to begin with the food. There was just everything possible to eat available. We settled down with chicken tandoor and naan with some papad and hummus, and corn.

The cruise director, had a session on some rules and regulations in one of the theaters and we attended that, being first time novice cruisers. There was an emergency drill too. We had to take our life jackets from our rooms and assemble at Deck 4 where the life boats were located. Thankfully they had life boats for all the people on board the ship. So no one will have to be left behind in case of a Titanic like situation :--P Oh, and our luggage was delivered to our rooms, no issues.

Then it was time to stand on Deck 9, watching the other ships sail by, wait for our turn. The ship started moving slow as a turtle, we didnt even realize it was moving until a while after. And we took off! We waved strongly at the folks at the beach by the shore, and they waved back. Oh how many times have we looked longingly at the Cruise ships in San Francisco ports, wondering when we will ever be on a ship! It sure was a dream come true!

We had 8PM dinner seating. So we managed to squeeze in some time to take a look at the Spa and Gym on Deck 11. Gym was well equipped, I was happy.

Dinner was okay. In fact they had an Indian entree which was decent. Our waiters were from Indonesia, we were to build a nice rapport with them in the next few days.

Every crew member on the ship was super friendly. We met a bunch of Indians working in the buffets and restaurants. Everyone was friendly. The crowd was a cool crowd. There were dances going on, competitions going on, anniversaries being celebrated, birthdays being celebrated.

We took a walk on the deck yet again after it was dark. A gentle rocking of the ship, with the wind blowing on our faces. It was super exciting.

We were very much looking forward to having a fun time.


PS: I was looking for a nalla neram to start writing this. But realized it will never come. So if I flunk my final exam on Wednesday you know why.
Hopefully I can write all parts of the vacation. Lets see.
posted by SK @ 7:46 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger Lavanya said…

    Too much fun you're having! I'm jealous :P

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Anonymous kutti said…

    cruise-kku pointers kudutha enna maranthutteengale :D

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Daisy said…

    finally!! have been waiting for your cruise post!! jealous jealous :)

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Lonestar said…

    Still on my todo list :(

     
  • At 2:18 AM, Blogger Gradwolf said…

    So finally you had the much awaited holiday!

    Did you and DH try the Titanic pose in front of the cruise? :P

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger SK said…

    Chutney,
    Fun-a, did you read the post :--)

    Kutti,
    heheh appovadhu neenga comment pannuveengalannu than :--D

    Daisy, :--)) arey why jealous.

    Lonstar, ya, should go atleast once.

    Adi,
    yes yes.
    Answer to your question in next post :--)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com