Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
First hand IST experience and other weekend notes
Sunday, August 01, 2010
I am actually heeding to Saya's words and am going to try to blog more often, since I have time in hands, and this blog is after all a reflection of my thoughts and moods.

Its slightly chilly, as I sit on the deck, waiting for DH to join me after he loads the dishwasher. Its actually a bit too chilly, I am going in.

Saturday morning the running group went on a hike in SF. I very much wanted to go, but the responsible self in me stopped us in time. Got quite a bit of unpacking done. I have so many clothes, but somehow I seem to be fitting into only a fraction of them at one time. Tch tch. And I cooked after ages, arachuvitta samabhar, my favorite.

We are into watching Fringe now, off and on. I would say its an interesting series.

Evening we had to go to someone's place for a meeting. And then go to a kid's birthday party. Yesterday is when I really really understood the significance of Indian Standard Time.

I never like to be late. I never like to keep someone waiting. I feel very guilty if I do. So we drove 30mins close to the meet up venue and sneaked in a trip to Macy's to get a gift for the birthday kid. We were 20minutes late and I was feeling bad. We rang the door bell, went in and guess what, we were the FIRST people to arrive! So we caught up on stuff with the couple, chatted away, until people started trickling in a full hour after the quoted time! The meeting organizer came 1hr 30mins late! :--S
Anyway in the mean time I learnt to make chai from the host.

The next appointment was at 7 at Chuck E Cheese's. Of course since the meeting started so late, it went on past 7, and we excused ourselves at 7 and headed to the birthday party. We were at the venue by 7:20 again, 20mins late, I felt a bit guilty. This was our first time at this place, why the hell would we ever visit this place? But it was fun to watch loads of kids high on sugar running around. I called up the friend and get this - she said she just started from her place and was on her way to the venue! :--S Apparently she had sent out a party time correction email. It was actually at 7:30 and not 7. DH and I were a bit hungry, so got something to eat.

The friend N's dotter was turning 6. She was quite an adorable kid. It was fun to watch the kids in their own world playing around, running around, hopping around. We didnt know any of the other guests. And of course ALL the other guests had kids. Since N is a bit older than me. DH said may be we should just start talking to people, else we will stand out. We striked a conversation with a group of four men, who talked about schools, waiting lists, BP, employment, job opportunities, software, etc etc. Really some guys looked totally lost. May be the wives just dragged them to the party. I guess its a different ball game when you have kids, I have no idea. I will write more on that later. Time for Samosas and Pizza.

I was given the Camcorder and DH the camera to capture the Cake cutting ceremony. DH reasoned we were the only vetti guys in the party with no kids to run behind. Kiddo looked super cute in a pretty dress, like a princess. Some more chatting with the kid's father and then we thought we should bid adieu.

Sunday dawned, bed and sheets too cosy to get out of. The weather here is amazing even in Summers, slightly chilly in the mornings and evenings, I wonder how Winters would be?

The Church had an all kids choir, I just loved it. The sermon was amazing by a Mallu Father. Main theme was something DH had on his Running page, a quote by Winston Churchill - We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. When we die we dont take anything with us, then why hoard on such worldly things?

We have been hearing a lot along those lines from many. We have to distinguish between our needs and wants. Our wants are much bigger than our needs. How many times we buy stuff and splurge on a whim and give in to our fancy desires? My Dad is a model of minimalistic living. I got so many of his traits, didnt get this one. I think I am better off than many, but still need to reduce my wants more.

For example I was telling a good friend that we need to buy more furniture to fill up the 'living room' and he said do you really need it? Dont do stuff out of peer pressure. How true! The couple I have written about before when they were home they said our couch is oversized for the room, and they said you should may be get rid of it and get a smaller one. I was almost in shock and immediately said No way! I love this couch! How materialistic! I chose all the furniture at home with a lot of care, spending a lot of time on selecting. Its not outright wrong, but I can try to not give importance to such things. Simplistic living. Have only what is needed. Differentiate between needs and wants. I am glad I am surrounded with such people who give me a jolt and pull me back in the right direction of life.

Are such ideologies extinct? So extinct, that people who follow it seem foolish? Gandhiji was born in India, model of simplicity. No wonder he was called Mahathma, for its not easy to do what he did. But when I do see people following some of the principles, gives me goosebumps.

Ok enough philosophy. ;--)

I want to start cooking regularly from this week onwards. Lets see how I fare. The next we eat out will be on Friday. I have to stick to my cooking schedule and workout schedule, now that the run is done.

Goals for the week -
Cook regularly, no eating out
Run/Workout 5 days of the week
Wake up immediately when the alarm rings
Plan clothes to work as a precursor to the next week in the new team
Dont waste water/paper towels in the kitchen
Two fruits a day
Get started on the next set of goals
Slowly reduce sleep time, now that marathon is done, and travel will be done

I think I will start with the 7 days of positivity tomorrow.

Have a wonderful week friends!
posted by SK @ 8:28 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger nourish-n-cherish said…

    I dont know about you - but for me, the most difficult seems the third rule - "Get up as soon as the alarm rings"!

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Anonymous shoba said…

    Talk about IST, SK.. We have had the exact same experience with a party once. Have stopped attending Bday parties from then on except for really close ones.
    Lots of planning , girl. Keep it up.Have a good week.

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Blogger SK said…

    Saumya, Yaaa. I used to be better before, but now I just cannot wake up :--(

    Shoba,
    IST :--( I hope I survive these without getting too bugged and losing friends.

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger Archana said…

    I hate IST as well. I once went to an engagement party where the cake-cutting happened at 9.30p. The original time was 6.30p. Ugh, ugh - and the late guests were preening about the fact that they were too important to show up on time!!! Nowadays I always show up at least 30 minutes after the scheduled time for Indian parties - it saves a lot of raised BP and I don't have to be the only guest in the venue. Ya, I hate IST.

    If you manage to wake up as soon as the alarm rings, please teach me how. I think the snooze button was invented for me - in fact, I sometimes set the alarm earlier a wee bit earlier so I can hit snooze :-).

    Okay, this comment is getting longer than your post, so signing off now.

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger SK said…

    Archana! 3hrs delay is just too much! :--( How can we change this? I want to try.

    Hey I do that too, keep the alarm a few mins before when I really want to wake up. ;--) Havent been too successfull, other than just being forced to wake up for the shuttle. But I will not give up lets see.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com