|
| Thoughts on a Sunday afternoon |
| Sunday, June 27, 2010 |
When DH and I joined A.I.D it was for a selfish reason. We were new and we wanted to know people in the area. I was looking up different organizations from Tamil Mandram to all the non-profits, Sankara Eye, Asha, Vibha and finally AID. A good friend of ours from under grad was a member of AID when he was here and he recommended it to us. I had previously been a member of Asha in Grad School, when I didnt really understand what the heck they were doing. So one fine day I emailed to a nondescript email id, telling them we are new to the area and would like to join the group. I got a response immediately telling me where their next meeting is. First meeting that we attended, the Fund Raising Coordinator talked about how a bunch of them did the SF Half Marathon last year and had raised a whopping 20K in donations! This was when I had just picked an interest in running.
You see, ever since 2003, the year I graduated with Masters and didnt get into the company of my choice in the Bay Area, I envied the folks of Bay Area. Somehow they were folks that could accomplish what I couldnt. Of course it didnt stay so for long, but still. Should I say creme dela creme of the engineering world worked here? While some may loathe the place just for its Indianess, I like it for its geekiness. This is the place where companies rise, cutting edge technology is made, companies are made and destroyed. One can never take it away from Bay Area. Yahoo, Google, Apple, Cisco were all born here, and there are many more such companies growing, waiting for their breakthrough. Anyhoo, enough about Bay Area.
Coming back to the topic, initially DH and I stuck to the schedule and attended meetings just out of discipline. Some days were a bit boring, some days were not so. There was a dance event fund raiser in which we actively volunteered in April and even then I didnt feel like I totally belonged to the group. But still it was nice to be part of the group. When we attended events held by other non profits in the area, I felt they had more volunteers and hence were much better organized and I used to wonder why didnt we join that organization. LOL.
It was when our training started that we really really got fully involved in the organization. I dont know when it happened but slowly I became PROUD of what we are. As I came to know about the different people in the group, I began to appreciate what they are doing and their dedication. This one couple, often make us wonder just how do they manage their own personal lives and the humongous tasks that they voluntarily do for the organization. It slowly dawned on me that they were not just volunteers like me and DH, but they were true believers in principle of the Organization. The organization is environment conscious among many things and loathes people using plastic and disposable items. When we had a breakfast session after a long run, we asked everyone to bring our own plates and tumblers to eat and drink with! While it initially seemed atrocious to me, it dawned on me later that they were really serious. I was telling S yesterday after yet another 10mi run that if all my friends stop talking to me, because I am pestering them for donations, I will only blame him. And he said everyone is getting away from him not just for donations but for so many other things that he strictly follows and believes in, which naturally inconveniences his friends and family. Every little thing I learn about him and his wife, I cannot but stand in awe at the commitment to the cause. I really admire and respect such people. There are more such examples that I want to quote, but will stop now. Now I am kinda happy that socializing is not just hanging out with people, eating, and talking about random stuff and playing games. Socializing while working for a cause, and helping others is just something that fulfills what I truly want to do. I truly enjoy the commitment of those that I work with. There are even a few Americans in the group and it just makes me wonder what attracts them to the group.
There is this one person I interact with who really wants to go to India and spend time helping in a medical center in rural India, but he is not able to because he doesnt know Hindi! And he oftens reiterates how disappointed he is! And this other lady who is so excited about India, she is thinking of joining Hindi classes so she can be prepared when she goes to India next year.
I just realized recently that the movie Swades, which I am sure struck a chord with each and every Indian in the US, was based on true story of the person who founded A.I.D. How humbling! Now this organization is very big with many many chapters all over the world, doing some truly amazing work. But when he started it must have been just a spark, an ambition, something that came out of just feeling the need for improvement, and the goal to help.
Just like small seeds when sowed and taken good care of over time lead to strong tress that yield so many fruits, everything, every idea starts small but with proper care it can blossom into a full grown tree providing many benefits. Of course the seed or plant has to withstand harsh, unfavorable conditions.
Anyhow, what I am trying to say is, you have to be different to make a change. You have to stick to your principles and ideologies and walk by them, NO MATTER what others say.
I distinctly remember two years back, I was searching for answers as to how can I be of use to people. I was doing volunteer work here on and off. But I am glad now that I have a more rigid system of volunteering. Its a lot of fun too, the people are amazing as I said, they only spur us to stretch more and more and do more and more. DH just hosted a fund raiser and it was soo much work, I felt like I almost missed a weekend. I can only imagine how it would be for the person who coordinates ALL activites of the Chapter. He has to be involved in so many many things, its like a full time job! Yet again I have no words to describe their dedication and enthusiasm.
Anyhoo hope every one had a lovely weekend, I did too. Hosting a friend for dinner tonight and then crazy work resumes tomorrow. Have a wonderful week all of you!
PS: Oh almost forgot, today is also my last day as a 20 something. I am not unhappy, as a wise lady and many others said, 30s are better than 20s, so I look forward to peaceful 30s. |
posted by SK @ 3:22 PM  |
|
| 7 Comments: |
-
-
Happy Birthday :) Coming here after a long time. Was a regular reader of your old blog a few years ago :)
-
Divs, thanks! :--) Anantha, Of course mr superstar himself visiting my blog, I am honored. :--) Thanks!
-
hey happy birthday!!! hope u have a great year ahead.. Raji
-
Happy Birthday, SK! Many start volunteering for the same reason as you did. I am glad that you found your place. I volunteer for CIF in the bay area.
-
Raji Thankooo! :--)
Shoba, CIF? Cal Interscholastic Fed? Interesting! It is interesting to see some people just really passionate for the cause, grass itching!
-
konjam late...belated birthday wishes!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
Happy Birthday!!