Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
Happy new year 2013 and a recap of 2012
Monday, December 31, 2012
I have not disappeared yet!  :--)

Wanted to wish everyone an awesome new year 2013. Hope it brings only good things in your life.

Never been able to blog on New Year's Eve. This year I was able to.

These are my resolutions for 2013, let us see how I am able to keep with them.

1) Less TV, more reading
2) Healthier eating. Limit junk.
3) Drink lots of water
4) Be more patient with BSK
5) Work out 5 days a week
6) Try to reduce sleep to 6hrs a day

2012 has been a great year. It has seen me grow, wiser. Having BSK in my life has left me a much happier person than I usually am. In spite of not having a rocking social life, in spite of not travelling as much as we would, in spite of not being able to do what I want all the time, I have been less depressed than previous years. I attribute it wholly to BSK. Her innocent antics that are getting cuter by the day brings a smile on my face no matter what my worries are, they just fade away in the background. She has just snuck into our lives and turned it upside down. Changing my priorities, upsetting my time management, she has made me wake up in the morning and keep the cooker every working day, something I never thought I could do. I never thought I could cook every single day, but I might get there by the end of 2013, because she is getting a little tired of one pot meals and wants properly made veggie curries.

As a recap,
- Early in the year we hiked up Mission Peak, leaving BSK with in laws. I was happy to have been able to complete it sucessfully.
- February saw us taking a vacation in Greece, with 9 month old BSK. One of a lifetime trip with lot of memories to cherish. BSK's first flight was international first class.
- March we started training for the Big Sur Relay just to get back into running. April, I ran on highway 1, taking in the breath taking views of the coast, a milestone.
- May, BSK turned 1, planned her party which was a new experience, was a great success too, with folks coming in and taking pictures of the hall for the decorations. Plus the decor was published in the restaurants advertisement in local magazine. Some random stranger said I should be a party planner.
- June parents left and life was as chaotic as it could be. Thankfully BSK was well accustomed to day care and loved going there.
- July in an attempt to not drop gym in all the chaos started doing Insanity. Did 50 days of it and saw my body changing, people telling me I actually look good while the scale wasnt budging. And then I injured a tendon and has to stop it. One of the lowest points in life, because you know, I never like to leave things mid way.
- From start to end of 2012 I have lost may be 2lbs, but I have gone down 2 sizes in jeans. Not bad.
- I stayed away from BSK for the first and only time in August when I was in Portland for a work conference.
- Come September work picked up. Lot of stress, but I surprised myself with my calmness in handling things. Baby does give a different perspective.
- October and November were uneventful except for DH's birthday trip to Santa Cruz and Thanksgiving dinner with old friends.
- December was more chaotic racing towards deadlines and milestones. I took a forced vacation end of the year and nobody complained.

December holidays in detail since it is still fresh in my head.

- 22 Dec - Drove to Sonoma to DH's Chithappa's house for a party since a cousin was leaving to Malaysia on Fullbright scholarship. We met Chithappa's friends from 20 years, when they first landed in the US. We started wondering who will we still be in touch 20 years from now. Interesting encounters.
- 23 Dec - Shopping for Christmas party. Cutting veggies, shredding carrots. We expected about 20-25 people. People just added up, without realizing.
- 24 Dec - Carrot halwa in the morning, Veg cutlets, Chocolate Bourbon bread pudding, two batches with loads of chocolate, Eggplant curry, mom's recipe that everyone loved and wanted to know how I made it!  Church in the night.
-25 Dec - Veg pulao, mom's recipe, Mangalore chicken curry, brussel sprouts channa curry, DH made chicken biriyani, and finally cauliflower kurma. A couple visited for lunch. Gave full marks to my spread. ;--) Cleaned up a little, friends from F town came over at 6, and asked how come I am so calm when I have a party shortly. It was a great party. Everyone loved the food.  After everyone left we ended up chatting late into the night from A and S from F town.  We also watched Pizza tamil movie late into the night. It was a great movie, tamil movies are getting better nowadays.
- 26 Dec - A and S wanted to have a vetti vacation, meaning not do anything just laze around. Which was precisely what we needed and did too. Went to the mall in the evening, shopped a little. Both A and I got mint colored jeans. And I supposedly dropped my bag in the parking lot and lost it :--( Watched Kalakalappu second time, laughed as hard as we did the first time.
- 27 Dec - Great mall and we found another great fitting mint jeans in J Crew on super sale. ;--) They left late afternoon and it was rather depressing evening. Watched Naan, good movie but rather depressing.
- 28 Dec - A slow day catching up with some chores and work. My laptop charger went kaput so I decided to go to work and pick up my spare charger. We watched Aaranyakaandam that night.
- 29 Dec - We went to Stanford Mall with a couple. You can see too many Malls but hey I didnt buy too much stuff, in Winter there arent too many places to go with toddlers. :--P We went to lunch at Cal Pizza Kitchen and then R and I had a Salon appointment. I got a nice facial done. :--) Watched Sattai in the night.
- 30 Dec - Church in the morning. Evening we went with J to see the Fantasy of Lights at Vasona Park. J has two cute cats, BSK was totally miffed around them. It was too cute to see her get hyper looking at the cats.
- 31 Dec - Today :--P Finally cooked. Went shopping for clothes for BSK and myself for impending vacation. :--) And blogging now. Tonight planning to watch Nadula konjam pakkatha kanom.

Tomorrow is the last day of our 11 day long holiday and it has been totally awesome. Lot of work is waiting for me when I get back but I think I am ready for it. :--)

I have been thinking about the Delhi case a lot, fuming inside, almost throwing up, watching tamil movies just makes my blood boil some more when I see references to how women are treated as second citizens.  The problem is not simple I think, the attitude is deep rooted. We need to work to change the mindset of people, one village at a time. In the meantime harsher punishments will deter these animals. I want to do something, because women's rights is something I strongly feel for and want to do something about. I think women also need to change. Be bold, independent, stronger. Dont think finding a husband is the most important thing in the world. Don't lose your identity once you get married or have a baby. Keep up with the world, continue to be marketable, be smart, dont lose your acumen, and employ ability. And of course learn karate, self defense, be strong.


Here is wishing all of you a wonderful wonderful new year 2013. May god bless you with abundant happiness and joy the next year.



posted by SK @ 8:24 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Porkodi (பொற்கொடி) said…

    Happy New Year SK!! That looks like a good year, I must say! Impending vacation? Another one? Wow, ensoi..!

    [seriously very few people seem to have a nice list for 2012.. it's mostly a sad list for many people I know..! weird!]

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger SK said…

    Porkodi,
    Happy new year to you too!
    I know! Not a good one for many.

    Yes yes vacation soon! :--)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com