Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
N for Neither here nor there
Thursday, April 16, 2015
A good friend had introduced me to Bill Bryson a few years ago and I am his big fan. 

There are many times that I feel this way, neither here not there, not belonging anywhere. I have moved quite a bit when young and a little later as well. I have studied 14 years in 8 schools. 

I have studied with Hindi speaking military kids, one gang believed in kissing each other good morning. I have studied with 'aathukku, saathamadhu' Brahmin kids. I lived with proper chennai slang ( vandhukine irukken, inna panre) speaking neighbours. I have studied in govt school along with low income kids and I have studied in private schools with super rich kids. 

I know folks who were totally against Hindi. I know folks from far down south of Tamil Nadu, learnt the different slangs of Tamil language from them. 

I have been to ski destinations where people cannot stand hot weather. I have been down south in Florida and met people who cannot believe how people can live in Chicago.

I have friends who are proper home birds, prefer staying home cooking and eating and chatting with friends to going out and exploring the outdoors. I also have friends who just need a day off to take off somewhere far from home. 

I live outside India, when I am in US I feel I am not as posh as the folks around me, and when I am in India I feel I don't belong here too.

I have lived outside of California. I have dreamt of the dreamland that it is. I have lived outside of Bay Area in California too, I understand the disdain people have towards Bay Area and the life there. And eventually I moved to Bay Area to understand why Bay Area is the way it is.

I was brought up in a strict Catholic household. And I married an open minded Hindu. My family is serious about jokes even and DH's family thrives in joking about everything serious.

All these experiences make me who I am. They have made me more tolerable to differences in opinions without judging. I belong to this free earth, I am not bound by culture or language or a particular school of thought or any strata of society even. Nowhere and everywhere. 

I wish I could give a similar experience to JSK as well so she is not pigeon holed to belong to one place. 


posted by SK @ 5:14 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger Sachita said…

    What an interesting life, SK.

    I agree, I have had relatively fewer changes ( half of what you had) but agree that is one of the best education for a child.

    Excited for your future trip :)

     
  • At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :--)))

    Sk

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com