Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
When you are happy and you know it
Thursday, July 16, 2015
So today I happened to meet and do small talk with a lot of people at work. Long time friends. When they ask me how is work, I am not able to hide my disappointment in recent changes. Oh well. I have steered myself toward work, it is actually not bad, it is interesting and fun. I guess I never got the opportunity to get into work mode since I got back from my sabbatical. 

So I saw this super interesting opportunity to go and help out underdeveloped countries and teach them about technology, to put it losely and I was very excited. I was eyeing it since the beginning of the year but sabbatical came in the way. This time timing seemed right. Only I wasn't sure if new boss would let me. It is a two week commitment away from office along with a few hours a week leading to the actual event. First I asked DH of course and he was kind enough to give me the go ahead. I am not asking for permission but I don't want to dump all duties on him and run away to help the world, I am exaggerating. Then I wanted to ask boss. For a minute I imagined conversations where he tells me to first do my duty at home before going out to help ;--p 

I was talking to him today  and he was in a vacation mode. He is doing almost the same cruise that we did a few years ago, to Cayman Islands and Jamaica. So I was ahem giving him some pointers on what to do. Long the same travel mode, when he asked me if there was anything else before he took off, I reluctantly brought it up ready to accept if it got shot down. And lo behold!!! He said ok!!! I was visibly elated. He even connected me to some of his other folks who had done this before. I mean it made my mundane day super happy!!!!! I have always wanted to do this. I think I will make a difference. 

There is still lot of process like interviews involved I guess before they pick their candidates and there must be a lot of procedures that will bug me IF it does indeed happen, but for today I am SUPER happy! I can understand my boss too, you cannot shoot down an employee so many times, already I had kind of given up on him, this was his one way of getting back my loyalty a little bit.

Another 'happy' news is that I was asked if I were willing to chair the women's conference this year!! It is a great opportunity and good visibility , but a hell lot of work. Three years ago I would have pounced on the opportunity, but this year my thought process is different. Seriously, I am hopeless. I work hard and dream of becoming something, i have looked in awe at the co chairs wondering how they pull off such awesome events and their time management skills and yaada yaada, and now when I get the opportunity to be one of their likes, it doesn't look so shiny anymore. What is wrong wth me!! I didn't pounce on it like I would have. I told them I will think about it. And I have to think about it. I am already doing outreach work, working with high school girls on engineering stuff. May be I will do it, I do enjoy the charter and I will be part of the group that motivates the women at work. Lot of work, hell lot. And that means at some point I can chair the board. Super big responsibility  But I think I should do it right? Do it for the starry eyed 20 something self from many years ago?

I also realize that my realizations are slow and late ;--p better late than never.

I am watching my little ballerina in her class, so happy and enjoying, I should be working, I have deadlines, but here I am instead sharing with my diary. ;--)


posted by SK @ 6:10 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 7:37 PM, Anonymous rads said…

    Good stuff Z!
    Ive always believed in asking, doesn't hurt and for all u know, it would work in your favor and it did! Good luck with everything. :)

    Also, womens' conference, yeah, if they didn't think you were capable, they wouldn't have asked. But, yes, ive learnt to say no, if I feel overwhelmed, and am sure you will do the right thing! :)

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Anonymous SK said…

    Thanks Rads :--)

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger radha said…

    Can you please let me know more about the helping the underdeveloped countries program ? sounds like a lot of fun.. can share my email if you would prefer to not put it up here..

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Anonymous SK said…

    Radha,
    it is work thing... I can send more details on email, do let me know.

    Thanks!

     
  • At 3:46 AM, Blogger radha said…

    Yes please.. thanks so much :)

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Anonymous SK said…

    Hi Radha

    Can you email me at saranya.kish@gmail.com?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com