| So I have been asked by my dad to eat only home food not too much restaurant food. I did know this would be the toughest part. Especially when travelling. I might end up being one of those mommies that hauls around a rice cooker everywhere she goes. Rice is yes. Any kind of protein is no, except lentils and nuts. I am still learning. So carb overload for me!! Quinoa is ok phew!
I stopped coffee and even green tea the day after I got my test results. Caffeine aggravates the condition. As does chocolate. The first day with no coffee left me with a splitting headache. How much control that thing has on you!! I used to have only two small cups (4oz each) of coffee a day and two cups of green tea. Second day I was fine. Now I don't miss it at all. I save a few calories from coffee. Yes!! I am taking Nettle Leaf tea because that is the only non caffeinated tea at home. At work I have Chamomile tea which is quite good I am thinking of buying some for home.
I was at a loss for snacks. But almonds seem to be fine. As are a couple of biscuits or crackers. Fruits are pretty restrictive too. No banana. No pomegranates. Not too much of anything. I have been having apples and grapes.
Breakfast has been plain bread some days, no butter, no jam, no Nutella, no peanut butter, no cheese, ugh. Bought some almond butter today so that is settled. I can't drink my green smoothie everyday, I will get bored. I put a handful of spinach, an apple or pear, some blueberries, chia seed and almond milk. Oatmeal is a good choice but how to eat without sugar or salt or ahem my favorite idli podi.
Lunch and dinner are quinoa/chappathi/dosa (less oil) and kootu or vegetable. I try to add less salt. But somedays I have not. Some vegetables are a no no. Tomato apparently is not good. Eggplant, potatoes are banned. The word is out for bell pepper. But I am including them. No coconut. Not too many spices. Thank god lentils are not banned as such. What the hell will I eat? A bland spinach moong dhal kootu tasted so yummy. I made Adai. I think they are okay because the lentils are soaked and oil was limited. Chicken, fish and all animal protein sources are a no. No soy, no tofu.
All food stuff in the order of preference - -locally grown ( no preservatives) - farmers market! - organic ( expensive and sometimes tough to find) - fresh vegetables ( from fresh produce section) - frozen ( frozen vegetables has preservatives too) - packaged/ ready made food is a big no no
So obviously, cakes, pastries, cookies, juices, cheeses, popcorn, all kinds of chipsare all fricking banned. So are Indian yummies. Not banned but to be eaten with severe caution.
We were in Monterey for thanksgiving. I had a sandwich and soup. Soup is not recommended because of high sodium content.i took half the stuff out of the sandwich and I couldn't eat the bread. Idli sambhar is my savior in Indian restaurants.
I was out with a few old friends from verification days last week. We went to a vegan restaurant. Healthy and everything but I couldn't eat anything. I had garlic beans and brown rice.
Doctor appointment on January 26th. I don't know what he is going to say. Half of me expects him to say I don't have to restrict so much and that I can eat everything in moderation. Let's see.
I feel Indian food is definitely much healthier if oil and coconut and spices are limited. In those days it made sense. We have to adjust it to the modern times of sedantry jobs. All the spices have some nutritional goodness. Turmeric, coriander, mustard, jeera, etc etc. Even ghee in moderation is good in my opinion. ;--p
Indians had already discovered a lot of cures for diseases. They have not been documented in paper and hence is getting lost while being passed from generation to generation.
Talking for Indians, reading 'the man who knew infinity' a book on Ramanujam. The ancient Madras in the eyes of a white author is pretty exotic and interesting. Ramanujam studied in Pachaiyappas which is a pretty average college now. His grand mother lived in Broadway. Even Kumbakonam and Kaveri river and Thanjavur in those days sounds interesting. Ramanujam so far sounds like an average self conscious Tamilian fretting over lost marks and exams. I have a long way to go still.
Oh another thing that got me intrigued this weekend was Bahubali. Seriously! What a movie! No time wasted in dry humor. Each and every dialogue added value. Our very own Madan Karki( same college, Vairamuthu's son) did an amazing job. The final war sequence was so Hollywood! So much attention to detail! SS Rajamouli, now I have to watch more of his movies. I don't like Prabhas or Duggabati. Tamannah was quite pretty in this. I remember this feminist issue that cropped up with the movie. People took offence on Shivudu enticing Avantika the warrior woman. I didn't find anything wrong with the sequence. There are plenty strong women characters in the movie. Ramya! And Rohini! tammanah was pretty strong too!
All right that is 50mins of cycling time pass.
Have a good week! |
What condition is this, SK? :O