Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
Our little family holiday
Thursday, December 31, 2015
The past few days have been very relaxing and beautiful. Work, what work? 

JSK has all of the two weeks off, I had a bit of a struggle working Mon to Wed of last week. She went to winter camp in the morning. Afternoon she was with me, and I had meetings. It was crazy but we managed.

I cooked for a total of 10 hours. I actually counted. I made idli chaat, vegetable biriyani, mint rice, mirchi ka salan, chilli gobi, spaghetti with vegballs for kids, mango mousse and bread pudding.  We had guests over for Christmas. I really enjoyed hosting. We had White Elephant Gift Exchange. I realized I hadn't cooked for friends this whole year ;--P always end up buying Indian pizza or something. Remembered the many times I have hosted 30 odd people at home for parties. It was a very satisfying day. I wanted to have more parties ;--))

Since we cancelled our San Diego plans and donated the money saved to help Chennai Floods, ( drive to SoCal is extremely jinxed I tell you!) we decided to head somewhere close. With the Sierras and colder than usual winter our options were limited. Reno seemed like a good option. I80 is pretty well maintained. We definitely wanted to take Mia along. Hotels were booked. Decided to take a shuttle bus to a nearby ski resort. I am always scared of winter driving. I once got stranded very badly on a small icy hill on new year in my Camry. Cried and called a friend for help. So driving on mountains in winter snow and ice is always a nightmare for me. 

The day before I checked if Mia can handle the winter weather to Reno and I hear about Winter tires and Tesla chains neither of which we had. Donner Summit is apparently notorious for its and snow storms and making cannibals out of people. A few folks from Norway on the Owners page said it was stupid to drive without winter tires. The folks in Californja  knew better and said I should be okay as long as it didn't snow. 

We didn't buy chains. We gave away ours with our old car. We hadn't bought winter tires with Teala because really I don't need it in Bay Area. It was a beautiful day on Sunday when we drove to Reno. Home to Roseville Supercharger. Put Mia to charge and lunch at Chipotle. Folks came by waiting for charging spots to open up. We were in time I guess. On to Truckee Supercharger successfully across the uber pretty Donner Summit. The three of us hi fived. The roads were actually dry.  Sierras never fail to impress. Beautiful beautiful. Again we got lucky to find an empty spot to charge. Went into Safeway had coffee/tea/snacks. 35miles later we reached Grand Sierra Resort in Reno around 3pm. Everyone was valet checking in their cars. Even though Tesla has a valet mode we tested it out and still decided to park the car ourselves. We are told by one of the staff about Tesla destination charging in the resort. Woohoo! I was elated to find Tesla charging spots, two of them, and one EV spot in the parking lot. We were prepared to get by without having to charge at Reno, with Truckee only 35miles away, so this was a bonus. 

We checked in, freshened up and headed down to the bowling alley. It was JSK's first time bowling. It was cute to watch her roll her ball. We had a great family time. 

The next day we were ready by 8 for our shuttle to Mt Rose. We used our icebreaker thermals from Nepal trip. Mt Rose was beautiful. It took us so long to get our gears for skiing. First we had to get the tickets then get JSKs gear, then our gear. It is a task just to get ourselves ready for skiing with the super heavy boots and the skis and the poles. Now add a cranky preschooler who doesn't like the crowd and the heavy boots and wants to be carried in the busiest week of the year. Somehow we managed. 

It was snowing all day. It was beautiful. Snow is beautiful period. I just don't want to drive in the snow. We put JSK in a kids class which was a big mistake. Too many kids, a nervous JSK, inexperienced instructors who just pulled JSK on her skis scaring the hell out of her, it was a nightmare which got over by 1:30pm. DH went skiing in the meantime and came back saying it was beautiful. I was fuming. Had a quick lunch and I headed out to ski. Yes it was beautiful. Turns out you don't forget skiing, like cycling once learnt you just do it even after 7 years. DH worked with JSK and got her comfortable with one ski on. I was happy to see that on day 1.

Got back, showered, dined at a posh Italian restaurant, had Christmas in my mouth Mango Cheesecake. With veg options I am never full without dessert ;--P




All of us slept off by 8:30, we were tired. I didn't realize the most tiring day would be the next day! Same routine next morning, except roads were bad with the snow previous night. Saw some folks put on chains to get up Mt Rose. It was at about 8000ft elevation.  We got all set up quicker than the day before. By 10 DH went skiing while I decided to work with JSK. She quickly got comfortable with both skis on and wanted to slide down a slope like right away! I gave her a Skittle every time she came down the slope. I would carry her skis up the slope, help her put them on, let her come down, remove skis and rinse repeat. I taught her the little I knew. How to stand, how to balance and to make a pizza to stop. She got pretty comfortable. I was definitely happy, though I was exhausted. 



Noon we had lunch. By 1 I went off skiing while DH worked with JSK. I took the chair lift and fell very ungraciously while getting off. Second time I was totally in control but the kid near me fell off right in front of me and became entangled with my skis. Oh well. But otherwise I was awesome if I may say so myself ;--p I fell only once. I can safely say I am NOT a beginner anymore. This day left me and DH and JSK wanting more and more skiing. My legs were tired, my calves were screaming, my ankles and feet zinging, my hands were tired from just carrying the darn skis. But my heart wanted more time on the beautiful mountains. The adrenaline rush when you go fast down the slopes is just .. Priceless. 

We got back to the resort. I decided to charge Mia to be ready for the drive next day. Since it had snowed I was scared of the roads. We went to a Cirque show  in the hotel theater. It has been a while since we had been to such a show, was a welcome thing to just sit and be entertained. 

The weather next day was very iffy. First we decided to leave by 11 so we will be on the mountains during the peak day time, but then I saw that the weather was clearer earlier in the day so decided to leave by 9am. It was freezing below 30F. I upped the Inside temperature of Mia to 71F before walking down to the car. ;--) I was really scared when I saw signs that said 'snowing in Donner summit carry chains'. We stopped at the next exit and got some chains. I prayed I wouldn't have to use them. Mia has motors at the rear so I think she is a RWD. Dual motors are AWD like, but they were being delivered two months later and I couldn't wait for it. Oh well.

The roads were pretty good. It was sunny too. We crossed Donner Summit and hi fived again. It got wet as we went downhill. 'Ice and snow keep it slow' in many places. It is only 70-80 miles of mountains. We even managed to stop in a rest area to take a picture of Mia with Mountains in the background. I have been wanting to take such a picture for a year now! ;--) 


Headed directly to Roseville supercharger. Chipotle lunch and back to drive home. JSK enjoys outdoors and trips. She was excited about the hotel and everything in it. She was intrigued by the carpets and their designs. 'Did they paint the floors?' She actually took pen paper and sketched the room, TV, remote, lamp etc. In our Germany trip I had made her draw and color all the castles she saw, even croissants and trains. She was doing the same this time ;--) she enjoys trips with just us. Because we pamper her like anything and she is the center of our world. She likes to sleep inbetween us, walk in between us holding hands, sit in between us. She likes to talk and talk and talk. 'Ok let's talk about something' she will say while sitting for dinner. Her tantrums have reduced greatly. She also loves dressing up, oops, make up and pretty clothes make her behave better. 

Overall it was a great holiday. We definitely plan to be back so JSK can learn skiing better. DH dreams of skiing winter vacations. I just want to be moderately good at it because it sounds cool to say we ski. Wannabe cool.  No? ;--) Namma Trisha is learning skiing too. ;--D

That is my last post for 2015.

Wishing my few readers, if there are any, a peaceful and prosperous new year 2016! Cheers!







posted by SK @ 7:14 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sow here..Lets meet up if you drive down to SoCal. :) Email me atleast 2 weeks ahead :)

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Anonymous SK said…

    Ok will do! :--) From the looks of it it might be end of the year haha!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com