Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
P is for Padosan
Friday, April 18, 2014
My padosan family is a punjabi family with two grown up daughters one in college and the other in middle school. DH is the one who socialized with them generally and it is limited to standing and talking when we happen to catch each other outside.

So two weeks ago she told us that since she is bored and has nothing much to do in the evenings, she works, she wants to make food and give to those who dont have time to cook, aka poor working parents like us. I was excited! I dont have to travel to pick up food. But but but, the problem is that I have a brand new kitchen and I have started liking cooking. I have been making pasta once a week, trying to get the right taste that BSK will eat. Been experimenting on oats dosa, and wheat dosa, since dotter prefers finger food to indian sticky food. How many times can I give roti?  I even tried paranthas which my daughter to my utter delight polished it during lunch. I realize I am doing all this because work is a little relaxed. Once it picks up I will throw cooking to the end of the line.

So last week my neightbour gave some food. Parathas which were extremely yummy. Roti which were nice and soft, kala dhal? and beans potato curry. Everything was good. She gave it to us for free. we are her neighbours and her husband and dotters were not comfortable getting payments from neighbours. DH tried to convince her to take some money, but you know how delicate these situations are.

So DH went last Sunday returned the dabbas and talked. I dont know what he talked but he said we will only get 10 paranthas on Tuesday night for now. Tuesday came and I didnt plan any lunch for dotter the next day. DH went to the gym at 8:30 and I went upstairs to put dotter to sleep. I didnt hear the neighbour ring the bell :--( I came out at 10 to see if she left the food at the door step and it was not there. DH and I thought may be she will give Wednesday. Nothing on Wednesday. So then we thought they must have been some miscomunication and were meaning to talk again over the weekend.

Today I was working from home in the morning and left the house close to noon for a team event when I saw her. I smiled at her and she asked " Did I do something wrong?" I was caught by surprise. What? Why? What?

So since we didnt open the door when she came Tuesday night, and apparently DH did not wish her and talk to her one evening when he saw her outside, he must have been pre occupied, she thought we were upset with her. :--(

Apparently she was very worried for the past few days wondering, asking her husband and dotters too. I was totally taken aback and I went and hugged her! I felt so bad. We say we are so busy we dont take time to build actual personal relationships with real people. We are neighbours afterall 10 steps to their door from ours.

And why would we be upset with her! She was helping us!! And we all know I could do with some help. She is giving the food for free too. She said she has time and that she knows we are busy and she just wanted to give some and help. She was soooo sweet. I told her what happened that night and we decided to exchange phone numbers again so in case we dont get to the door we can sync up on phone. Seriously I was probably just too pre occupied with putting the dotter to sleep. It didnt strike me that she would mistake us. It would have helped very much this week especially since we have been going to the church Thursday and Friday and tomorrow also for Monte Thursday, Good Friday and Easter.

But now all is sorted. And actually I feel a little closer to her than before. Like a veil has lifted and we can be more frank with her. I told her I will drop dotter with her some days if she is bored :--P She also said DH is like a brother to her. As  I said DH talks more to our neighbours than I do. Because you know I am an introvert and all :--P I find talking to people in person exhausting. It is different online. I can keep a grumpy face and still put a big smily :--P and no one cares.

So we will get paranthas (P for paranthas too!) this Tuesday, authentic homemade. :--D How lucky are we? And to think I almost jeopardized it.
posted by SK @ 11:08 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger M.C.V. EGAN said…

    Fun post... made me feel like cooking #AtoZchallenge ☮Peace ☮ ღ ONE ℒℴνℯ ღ ☼ Light ☼ visiting from http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 11:53 PM, Blogger SK said…

    Hahah hope you had something to eat :--)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com