Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
R is for remodelling!
Monday, April 21, 2014
I had wanted to write this for K - kitchen, but I forgot!!! and I did K for KISS, wth! Meena hope this makes up for K and R :--D

We live in the bay area. And that means we have tiny homes and tinier kitchens. The owner had just redone the kitchen by painting the wooden cabinets white and installed granite countertops before selling and we were basically happy with the look.Tiny doesnt bother me, but there was no proper utilization of the tiny space. Everything would sit on the counter because i didnt want to kneel down to put away stuff only to take it out the next day, kneeling down. And I bought things for my kitchen at will, not thinking about throwing away what I didnt use. I had ALWAYS wanted an island in my kitchen. Most used space in the house I would think it was. And I didnt have a pantry room but a deep full wall super narrow shelf. Anything you put in would be so hard to take out, I would lose track of what is there and what is not.
I visited a friend who had remodelled her kitchen with Ikea cabinets and absolutely fell in love with it. Everytime I visit  Ikea I love to look at all the kitchen models they have and just dream. I like a more contemporary and model look for the house and Ikea/ Scandinavian just fits the bill. Plus it suits small spaces. I was sold. So the next year or so we kept pushing out just calling the friends contractor and setting up the appointment. Finally we did that November of 2013.

The guy, lets call him MrI, came and saw our kitchen. I had no clue at that time, what all to look for, investigate, research  when redoing the kitchen. We just got into it, just like we do every single thing in our lives I suppose. No planning. He gave us some ideas, I liked them.

He gave us idea to increase the narrow pantry size, so I can actually have a decent sized pantry like in the Ikea kitchen. I was exhalted.

These are the things he proposed -
A pantry with pull outs.
In cabinet microwave so the top of the stove can have the vent and be a little roomy
Lazy susan in the corner so I dont have to kneel down and dig into the shelves
Pull drawers that are the best features of ikea cabinets
A small 6 inch space was unused so he put a nice spice rack rev-a-shelf to fit in

We wanted an island, so he gave us some ideas on what we could do. Island meant more cabinets and we could always do with more cabinets!

We all made a trip to Ikea the day before thanksgiving and utilized the 20% off to buy the cabinet frame and the doors. I chose the most expensive Abstrakt white glossy doors and the Brackett handle which looked very sleek.
Cost - ~7.5K

He was available to start work on Jan 2nd. Until then we had time to mull over the appliances. Our fridge was only 3 years old but the other appliances were probably older, we decided to buy all new stuff. We went to Sears to look at Kenmore stuff but nothing looked pleasing the eye, or rather matched the sleek look I wanted. We had a standalone gas cook top and we debated quite a bit about slide in, or stand alone, or oven and cook top separated. The separate ones cost more money of course. But it was a new kitchen and if not now when else would we do it. And then there was this whole confusion about Induction and Gas and Electric. And then the confusion about the makes. The reviews only confused you more.
Finally after a lot of drama, returns, we zeroed in on Jenn Air Induction Cooktop and Oven, with it came the free dishwasher. I loved the cooktop.

Redoing the kitchen helped get rid of a LOT of junk I had accumulated over years. Also made me take stock of the stuff I have in the kitchen. Induction meant a number of pots and pans had to be discarded. Good riddance, it was an opportunity for me to learn to live with less stuff.

Cabinets were done in two weeks. We decided against the island since it costs space, and went with a peninsula, where one end is stuck to the wall, giving more room yet the same functionality as an island. I had 30in cabinets put in, which were an absolutely blessing. Now I have space to keep the nick knacks like tissues, sasha numerous rubber bands, and anything that should not be seen outside but just happens to be there.

And in the meantime we went to look for countertops. MrI suggested the Chinese guys who come in and finish the install in a week or so. So the whole kitchen can be ready in 3 weeks at the most. But I didnt like any of the countertops. It felt like floors in Indian homes. I wanted quartz since Ikea seemed big on it and I liked them too. More research and more Ikea trips and we decided on a raven coloured countertop to go with the white cabinets. I was dreaming about it. I seemed so perfect. Simple and elegant. And modern. The only problem was it would take a month to install. What is one month in a kitchen that I would use for 7-10 years? I convinced K to wait. So we waited. We couldnt have a sink, without the counters, the biggest gripe of all.
Finally two weeks later Ikea guys came to make a template and three weeks later, countertops! with sink! I could have hugged my sink.



Now our kitchen was 90% done. We made the India trip, came back and got appointment for the backsplash. I wanted a bluish blacksplash but looks like they dont have too many colors for backsplash. After a lot of going back and forth finally decided on this glass tile, green greyish from Lowes.Until then kitchen was a bit dull with white and grey. The backsplash was supposed to totally raise to a whole new level. They guys came and put it. and I was not too happy. Because they put it on top of beige walls and the glass did not reflect well. I was disappointed. There was the grout to be put the next day and reading online, grout can make or break the look. Ugh. That was the time I really want a designer or someone who can make the decisions for me. You spend so much money on the kitchen, for it to look cheap? or nice? There is a thin line especially when you try to go for modern looks. So I got help from my web designer friend, somebody with an eye for design and looks :--P and picked the right grout color. Once it was done, it really looked nice I should say!


A few days later, Mr I and his guy came and did the hood over the cook top, and the trash cans. Even the trash cans are high utility, easy to use.
And we are 95% done. I still want to use the rods to hang my pots and pans. And change the lights and add under the cabinet lights. We are taking a break from kitchen remodelling for the summer and will restart soon as our bank balance recouperates :--P

So cost break down for reference -

Ikea Cabinets plus doors for 13 cabinets- $8K we picked the most expensive abstrakt doors. If choosing a different door might be a good $2k cheaper.
Jenn Air appliances, cook top and oven with dishwasher for free - $5K
Microwave - $300 We got this GE one because that is the only one that fits in the cabinets, any other microwave would stick out. Not the best in the market but went for it plainly for the looks.
Labor - $7K
Countertop - $5K
Backsplash - $2.5K
Misc drawers, shelves, partitioning system, dabbas, hood etc - $2.5K

Around $30K total. We started with a $15K budget and as usual it blew out of control.

Usually people do this remodelling and refacing only when they want to sell. I mean what is the point if you dont get to enjoy a nice kitchen? We plan to sell the house in 7-8 year by that time I am guessing we may have to redo the kitchen again to sell, but hey we would have enjoyed a lovely kitchen and cooked in it and have had warm memories of it. I wish I could take my kitchen with me when I move next :--P

After I got rid of a lot of stuff, i plan to live minimally not buy stuff just because. Induction made sure i got rid of a lot of vessels. I have bare minimum and want to use them to the fullest. My pantry is bigger than before it is not a black hole where I put stuff and forget about it. Same goes for deep corner cabinets where I had my plastic dabbs. Now I know what is in my kitchen and how much so I will know when i run out of something. Guess what I have some extra space at the top not used too!!
Since everything has a place, counter is not cluttered with stuff I dont know where to put. I dont want to buy anything that I dont have a place for. I will take out stuff use it and put it back in so the counter is still empty at the end of the day. We have a nice window slab near the sink, which can house some temporary stuff that cannot go into the cabinets. So my counters will still be empty :--P

Then I started buying stuff that will be outside, water canister. And a diskrack. I ransacked the internet to find the best dishrack and this was it. I hate the whole water dripping at the bottom and having to keep a towel or something to drain in. Simplehuman makes the racks with a spout that will draing the water into the sink!! Do check it out.  I also go the spoon holder with a spoon rest which serves its purpose well.




Now one thing I need to do better to taking care of my induction cooktop. I dont know how to clean it effectively. It is not bad now but eventually after years of use I can imagine it becoming scratchy and sorta ugly. Any tips there?

Here is a post with the full picture I posted sometime ago.

Now I need to get started with the upstairs closets ;--)



posted by SK @ 11:45 AM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com