|
| S is for Skyline to the Sea and Sunset Trails |
| Tuesday, April 22, 2014 |
 Today is our 9th wedding anniversary. We dropped BSK in school poor baby and went hiking in Big Basin.
We moved to Bay Area and by the time we warmed up to the place and get to know the many hiking opportunities available, we got pregnant and had BSK :--P We did manage to do a half marathon before that thank god and do some awesome hikes in Utah, which really fuelled our dreams to hike some more.
Hiking in the woods among tall trees, watching out for mountain lions ;--P, hearing the chirping birds, and the crack of twigs under your feet, chatting about anything, a tryst with nature. Pure bliss.
So this hike was everything I wished for. I wasnt sure how I would hold up, with my ankle injury, but I seem to have managed. Some notable things things from the hike -
- Empty parking lots!! Geez, you know that is uncommon on any summer weekend
- Weather, absolutely gorgeous. Perfect for a hike, a teeny bit chilly.
- Taped a note with the following on our car, in case they we didnt return and rangers had to come looking for us -
- Time left
- Number of people
- Have food, water, warm clothing, map, flashlight
- Several obstacles on our trail, fallen trees.
- Bumped my head hard on a tree that was across the trail. My cap was blocking my vision!!
- Almost fell once, so many tree roots to trip over.
- Initially was scared, since not many people were there. I did have visions of getting lost, getting injured (ankle sprain?), and not making it on time to pick up BSK from school.
- Then I focussed on my hike. One step after another.
- 4miles in - saw berry creek falls. It was amusing to see how little water/stream can make a pretty waterfall.
- met exactly 7 people on the hike.
- the trail had redwood trees, moisture, cold, and then turned to a bit warm, short tree, and rocky for a bit.
- We saw four waterfalls, not spectacular but pretty nevertheless
- We had lunch with the view of the waterfall.
- we walk to the top of the falls and had a close up of the falls, water splashing the trail
- I was comfortable upto 7mi or so
- then started waiting for time to chug by, to finish the hike
- the trail was perfect the incline was 3% which was perfect for uphill hike
- somehow I felt like we were only hiking down all the time! it was a round trip so that is not true.
- probably the only hike where hiking up is easier than hiking down. My poor toes.
- by 8-9-10 mi - my toes had screamed and given up. My hiking boots are a bit narrow I think, need to replace them. I hit my toe on roots a few times sending shivers
- one wrong turn by K leading the way and we did 0.2 mi extra which also seemed like a big deal considering we were dead tired.
But it was a perfect way to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary, doing something we both love.
We were on time to pick up BSK.
My legs are tired but the soreness feels oh so wonderful.
Some pictures.
|
posted by SK @ 11:03 PM  |
|
| 4 Comments: |
-
AMAZING!!!!!! My hearty wishes for MANY MANY happy hikes!!!!
-
happy anniversary and how perfect! hubby and I have been taking half days off occasionally to spend time together - lunch, movie...we should plan a hike/run as well.
-
wow cool!! Happy anniversary SK!!!
-
Thanks MK, Shachi and Hema!!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
AMAZING!!!!!!
My hearty wishes for MANY MANY happy hikes!!!!