| Ps : WiFi sucks even in Kathmandu, I don't think I can access internet while on the trek, if and when I get on it. My luggage is stuck in Delhi. Boohoo.
When you travel alone and have lot of time at hand at the gates and airport you have nothing else to do but people watch.
Chennai Airport is posh and clean. Busy even at 5 in the morning. Cafe coffee day coffee sucked big time. Met and spoke to a few people, watched a few people. Folks going home, folks flying on work. Met this girl who was flying back to Calcutta after visiting her mom. The people are different based on the destination. Attire changes, skin color changes, language changes. True diversity. Everyone is glued to their phones just like the US. ;--p families, couples, singles, lot of women were traveling alone. Airplanes a bit safer than other modes of transportation?
Delhi airport is... Much like if not better than any US airport. It doesn't fail to amaze me to see people do actually buy stuff at the atrocious prices of US stores in India too. My gate had lot of phoreners. From Germany, Moscow ( he said Moscow not Russia), UK. Lot of people wih book on Nepal and Bhutan in their hands and of course hiking boots on their feet. Trekking pants and waist wallet? I travelled light only my day pack and handbag.
A big group of three four families with 10 year old kids followed from chennai all the way to Kathmandu. Immediately I had to imagine JSK. I have to bring her trekking too. Couldn't wait for her to be 10. Will be such a great adventure for her. This family was going to Kailash Manasarovar. The Russian was doing Annapurna circuit. Also the under 14 girls foot ball Indian team was in our flight! Gosh! reminded me of Chak de India. Mallu, Tamil, a couple Eastern girls, couldn't recognize the rest.
It was cloudy landing into Kathmandu. Lots and lots of clouds.
Was super excited.
Air India was okay, I don't know why I booked them inspite of some bad reviews. First time with them. And possibly the last time. They left some 100s of pieces of luggage back at Delhi. How could they do that? Clearly backlog it seems. I thanked my stars I had one day buffer. Even otherwise Nepalese are so nice and friendly and everything is how you want it. So I could go a day later too I guess. But I want my luggage!!!!!
Three guys came to pick me, one person, without luggage to haul too. Funny. Cheap labor. A friend who had been to Nepal said it was like going back in time 20 years. And it was true. I felt like I was in Trichy or some inner city in TN. Dusty, dirty, old old cars, buses, rundown airport.
More later. Going back to the airport to see if my luggage makes it. Only then my trip will really start. My hiking shoes are in them ;--( everything else I can buy here if I want to.
Edited to add: got the luggage ;--)
|
Good luck with everything SK.SO TERRIBLY AWFULLY EXCITED for you.