|
| And the weekend is not even over |
| Sunday, November 14, 2010 |
- What do you know there are non Asian people in the Bay Area too! Sick of the same old Indian places we have been frequenting often, my taste palates yearning for some soup and salad, we set foot into Olive Garden on Friday. I should mention it was about 6:30 and still there was a waiting time. It was quite a treat to find a respectable distance between tables so we can converse in private. The waiters were friendly, smiling, I love the pampering at such places.
- Italy is one place where we had the best food experience in Europe. Every item on the menu, save for the heavy meat stuff, was worth dying for. Hope to visit Italy again sometime. God knows when.
- Talking of visiting places, I am all ready for a vacation. This year is probably the year we have traveled the least. While this year was not good on the travel front, it has been good in so many other areas. I think my lucky years are in multiples of 5, 2000, 2005, 2010 and so on. I will save the praises for this year at the customary end of the year post.
- Watched Kandukondein Kandukondein again, after a long time. It is the Tamil Version of Sense and Sensibility, and when seeing with that in mind, I found some strange parts of the movie better explained. For example I didnt understand earlier how the hell can an Indian Mom be so naive and let all kinds of men enter her house and talk to her dainty daughters. Why oh Why dont they make such nice movies anymore? Why do we have to watch movies like Boss engira Bhaskaran and Va Quarter Cutting? Am I growing old? Does this generation like the above mentioned movies and will they long for such movied when they grow older? Sigh! Now I know why my Dad and Mom liked Saroja Devi and Shivaji movies.
- Spent some quality time at Borders after a long time. I enjoy just looking at books. When I see them I want to read all of them. Sadly I dont have so much time to read them anymore. Someday, someday I will sit and read and get totally engrossed into the book oblivious to my surroundings, just like good old days. I have decided to do just that in our next vacation. Sleep, read, play, eat and rinse and repeat. And I am digressing. Browsing books, or working with piping hot Mocha in hand supplemented with a slice of Coffee Cake, sharing interesting tidbits with DH. Ah, my weekend was made.
- After some initial small hiccups at home, while we have been really neglecting doing stuff around the house, the first real problem cropped up. One of the sprinklers broke. We didnt even realize it until a neighbor told us, because we have them set to automatically get on after we leave for work past 8. There is this American neighbor who has been helpful as anything, lending us tools and helping us debug the problem as well. So DH's first task was to replace the broken sprinkler. Up bright and early on Saturday we visited Lowe's and got all the stuff needed and ta da! all is well in sprinkler land.
- The India employee group at work is pretty active. For Diwali they had Dandia! After missing all the Dandia events around the area, opportunity came right to my door step, err, work door step. It was fun to watch non-Indians try their hand at it. I remember when we were in Bombay, I heard about Dandia for the first time. It was a big deal during Dussera and right on the road, people dressed up nicely and danced their way late into the night.
There is more to this rather slow, relaxing weekend. Hope everyone is having a good time. |
posted by SK @ 8:11 AM  |
|
| 7 Comments: |
-
loads of italian restuarant around and once you try them you will never go to olive garden. Try to pick one downtown at a time and explore:) you could try ethiopian as well.
-
Wow! You hit the nail on head with borders - I totally love doing that. Makes me feel like a long lost friend.
Italy - hmm...the list of places I want to go to is increasing. But every time we just land up accumulating our vacation and going to India!
-
Well, my comment didn't publish. :( The gist is, Olive Garden is actually not that good, as Sachitha pointed out. There is one in Campbell downtown. You might want to try it out.
-
" Boss engira Bhaskaran and Va Quarter Cutti"
The seemed like really funny movie, yesskay akka.
Hey you cant read during your commute a? Nowdays what I do is I always carry a book around. Whenever, I have a few minutes of waiting I whip it out and read it. Try it out. We can actually get a lot of reading done that way
-
Sachita, Give me some reco, in East bay ;--)
Saumya, yay! hope to bump into you sometime ;--) Italy is awesome! we skipped India trip for four years and thats how we managed to travel!
Shoba, Campbell too far. Going for indian food is fine, italian food.. too much ;--)
KDK, Noooo, I hated the hero in Boss. Such an irresponsible fellow. Bad example to next gen. I drive to work :--( So audio books are an only option.
-
-
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
loads of italian restuarant around and once you try them you will never go to olive garden. Try to pick one downtown at a time and explore:) you could try ethiopian as well.