Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
Golu and other thoughts
Monday, October 18, 2010
I was quite depressed until last week, because no one, invited me for Golu. I was seeing and hearing stuff about Golu, and I was transported back to good old days in Chennai. We used to live in the Quarters and every evening during the Golu time we used to crash some Maami's home, sing a rather lousy song, even, Sree Gana Nadha, and eat some yummy sundal. We used to compare the sundals from different Maamis' homes. It was such an amazing experience. I never missed this experience since I moved to the US, until this year. Bay Area being the Mylapore of US.

Finally a friend with two cutie pie twin girls said she had Golu at home and was planning to call people home. I dont know if I invited myself or if she would have invited me anyway, I got the evite on Monday. I was so excited! I can be silly like that.

So friends S and U were also invited, so we all planned to be there at the same time. I told them outright I was there for the food :--D So I had lemon sevai, blackeyed beans, puliodharai, thayir sevai, and some sweets. How do people with families learn to cook so well? Its just practice I guess.

So my Golu wish was complete with me singing a song, albeit a lame one infront of the five step Golu. Yippee! The kiddos were dressed in pattu paavadai, with a jittu or kudumi, and jal jal golusus. So cute!
They are in this fiercely possessive state, it was easy to pick a fight with them, by just saying, My Jittu, or my Amma, or my doll, or my camera, they would just repeat back in linearly increasing decibels. Such cuties.

We came home with a prasadham packet also complete with kumkum and turmeric.

*******

People can be largely classified as Givers and Takers. Just how can some people give without expecting anything in return. I think they are a class apart. It is because of such people that there is still good in this world. Those that are not jealous, greedy, envious, dont compare, dont have mean thoughts while putting on a smiling face.
Do parents and society play a big role in determining such characters?

Watched Abhiyum Naanum over the weekend. Abhi was brought up like any other pampered girl in India, but it didnt stop her from being selfless, helpful, with a kind heart. The way she brought the beggar to live with them. Makes me wonder how do some people have such a compassionate heart? Is it the up bringing, or genes, or just..personality? Whenever I thought of kids I might have I have imagined them to be super kids, studying well, reaching places, involved in extra curriculars etc etc, but now as I think more, I want them to be compassionate, with a kind heart and a helpful hand.

I think thats what makes one truly happy, not accolades and achievements.

********

On a lighter note, here are some super awesome flowers growing at home, without too much help from us, I should add.

Paper flowers or bouganvilla, yet to be planted, rose- mom's favorite and hibiscus! All of them reminding me again of home and India. It is quite a miracle to see these flowers bloom. One day its a bud and the next day its a beautiful flower! It lives for a couple of days, but the beauty and the joy it spreads is just, amazing!

We have grand plans for the backyard, not sure when we will get to it though, may be once all the fund raising work is done.






posted by SK @ 7:55 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger nourish-n-cherish said…

    I really like your thoughts about children. I completely agree - kind and compassionate :)

    BTW, the hibiscus looks lovely!

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger nourish-n-cherish said…

    I really like your thoughts about children. I completely agree - kind and compassionate :)

    BTW, the hibiscus looks lovely!

     
  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger Sachita said…

    Ditto on the golu exp. in india - i want that everyday sundal, though i live in a mylapore flat so golu visits were within flats!

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Anonymous A-kay said…

    Wish you had written / I had seen this earlier, I would have invited you for my golu :)

    I agree with Saumya, the hibiscus looks lovely!

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger Revathee said…

    hi..i really like your thought of children and gollu. So suprised tht to read a blog which is similar to mine. i look at things just like u.... hope u will go n check out my blog too...http://revatheer.blogspot.com/
    Thanks... take care:)

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger SK said…

    Saumya,
    Yes, I am glad you agree :--) Yes hibiscus is lovely, but only one flower at a time.

    Sachita, enjoy maadi! :--D Diwali will also be fun where you live I am sure!

    A-kay, Tch tch, next year. :--))

    Reathee, welcome here, I am glad you liked my blog, I liked visiting yours too! :--))

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com