Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
What's with everything?
Sunday, November 28, 2010
It being an unusually cold weekend, DH and I leave home rather early on the day after Thanksgiving to check out the shopping crowd at the near by Mall. Could not help feeling odd and rather silly for heading towards the Mall at 8:30 in the morning. Pacified ourselves knowing that there are some out in the world that line up at 1AM in the night to shop. I find the stores unusually crowded. DH was not one who wished to go on a shopping spree, self was content with the current wardrobe. Psst, the real reason was not wanting to be reminded yet again of the increasing waistline.

Macy's was the first stop. Look around, try some stuff, look for the size, pick a couple sweaters, look for the check out counter, mouth opens wide automatically. Long lines at all counters. Even the household items floor has a super long line, with people dark and white, tall and short, tired and excited, waiting hopefully for their turn with the cashier. Who is going to stand in such a long line to buy two sweaters? Not me! Neither does DH. So we ditch the sweaters and get out of store. Next stop, our favorite Gap. Not sure why I was so fascinated with the store when I was Fresh off the Boat. I dont find anything there nowadays. Again, I see a big crowd of people. DH is excited to visit the Men's section which is probably only a fourth of the entire store. Poor guys I say! This has been a cause of complain for DH. He has expressed his wish to be a woman just to have so many choices in clothes and colors. I wish to be a man, just for the same reason.

I walk around pick up a scarf, just because I have to buy something. I scan the place one more time and it slowly dawns on me, that the snake like array of people, with clothes in hand, starting at the cashier counter meandering its way through the clothes rack and almost to the store door, making a sort of a U turn back into the store and gliding past the counter again to the back of the store.. was in fact the check out line!! Surprise surprise! I call DH who is busy looking at sweaters yet again.

"DH, come I have to show you something" tugging at his sleeves and pulling his arm.
"What, is it yet another big line?" Drops the one sweater he picked out.
"Come, come I have to show you, its really amazing" And do the grand tour of the meandering line all the way from the counter to the front to the back.
"Ok lets get out of here" We both leave in a hurry.

With these two experiences, I realize no shopping is going to happen today. Rather we took silly pleasures in laughing at people standing in long lines with huge bags of stuff to check out. A visit to Hallmark, which was not crowded, was fun, looking at cards and trinkets. I haven't visited the store in a long time, may be since the wedding, before I used to hang out there looking for small cutesy stuff to buy and send home or to DH.

Makes me wonder how do people have the patience to stand in such huge lines just because they get some discounts? Do they buy because they have a need for it? Or just because it is on sale?

Its just my opinion, but I would rather have the luxury of looking at the stuff leisurely and pick what I want and do a quick checkout of the stuff that I really want, even if it means paying a higher price. Yes, I know poor DH.

I love Palo Alto Downtown. It is probably not the best of downtowns but it has a charm to it. Borders right in the middle of the street, an old building converted to what it is now, with huge staircases and tall ceilings, it looks antique. the little restaurants and Cafes with wide glass windows overlooking the streets are equally enticing. Quite a collection of shops. NOT crowded.

DH has some out of the world friends. I rather shamelessly commented to this guy who is a wonderful cook that one day he should visit us and also cook for us. He showed up Saturday morning, Pearl Onions and Ghee dabba in tow to make Vengaya Sambhar for us! How sweet! What followed was a mini kitchen debacle, with DH pointing to Channa Dhal as Toor Dhal and self realizing this a tab bit late. The whole sambhar making process has to be redone, but the end result was yummy as heaven! Needless to say, our stomachs were well taken care of.

And whats with the weather? Seriously, I had ICE on my car today morning. The grass had ice on their heads too. It almost felt like Madison weather. Has my tolerance gone down, or is it really cold? May weather God be kind to us mortals and bestow us with the sunny warm CA weather. Please!
posted by SK @ 6:42 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger nourish-n-cherish said…

    Ha! Exact same feeling for me! Went there to show my in-laws the thanksgiving frenzy and went to Udipi to wolf down a large meal before heading to a park!

    PS: Interest in clothes seems to have tanked for me too :(

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger Ram Srinivasan said…

    Nalla venum. It should get colder!

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Anonymous SK said…

    Saumya,
    Same pinch! This is the first time I have gone to a Mall on Black Friday.
    Clothes :--( Dont even get me started.

    KDK,
    Why man why. No matter how cold it gets, I am pretty sure we wont have snow ;--)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com