Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
As the day nears
Thursday, April 21, 2011
So we decided to get a Financial Planner to help us out with our what else but finances. As I said earlier, with a dependant soon to come, its not wise of us to live like a couple of teenagers without a care in this world.
Over the past three sessions only he has scared me so much, it got me wondering why did I agree to this in the first place.

Some of the things he made us think about -
- what if you hit someone on the road so that he is incapacitated for life?
- what if someone sues you for anything from personal slander to again permanent loss.
Apparently he can technically come after anything and everything you own.
I thought Auto Insurance covers accidents, but it doesnt cover EVERYTHING per se, there is an upper limit, once that is reached he comes after our own assets.

I thought if something (bad) happens, something doesnt work out I can always go back home. But I want to see what this guy has to offer.

The next thing he broached for Life Insurance was, what if DH dies? And he asked me a series of questions to which I couldnt just think of any rational answer.
I cannot imagine life without DH. If at all I still continue to live without DH, would I continue staying in the US? Too many memories. I would probably go back. Screw life in the US. These are all hard questions to answer. Will I still go on vacations? Buy a new car? Send me kid to college? I guess after how many ever years of mourning life has to go on. Although I cannot imagine myself ever getting over it :--(

Made me realize how much I have become used to DH in my life. Its one thing to fight and let sparks fly, and live away from each other, but its a totally different thing to lose someone. Forever. In an untimely manner. And then get on with life.

So I knew we have to have life insurance, but I thought about it in terms of protecting the baby as she grows up, incase neither of us are around. Just one of us not being around didnt strike me. :--(

Life can change in a fraction of a second. Commuting so much to work everyday puts us at such a disadvantage. Not just that. Pretty much anything can happen. And now there will be a little being dependant on me and DH for survival. What a huge responsibility! *Shudder*

-------

With a week left before I start on Maternity Leave, Yay!, I am all too enthu about work. I just cannot seem to get enough! Which is good. Because in the previous team, I was losing all motivation to work and wondered if it was because of pregnancy or the lousy team or loss of interest in work in general, which was the scariest thought for me, someone whose main identity is work. But all is well there thank God!

-------

I have been having the weirdest dreams. This weekend, one night I dreamt I was running in the caves desperate to reach the end, and on the way watched many old ladies looking almost like ghosts looking at me weirdly. Not sure what is the meaning of this dream, I suspect it has to do with me feeling a bit old with the pregnancy/baby and all. Another day I dreamt of delivering two dinasours :--(( What the hell! Every night I have vivid dreams that feel so real sometimes I end up crying in my sleep waking up a worried DH.

Its not like I am stressed out or anything, I am quite happy. May be childbirth classes and baby shower really sunk in the fact that the day is getting near. Sometimes I feel bad that I am not able to do the things that I want to do and upset that I dont have the energy to do all the pending tasks but otherwise I am pretty much in high spirits.

-------



Baby shower! What can I say, I had a lovely baby shower. I am tired of superlatives, else would have said the most awesome, amazing baby shower. DH had planned everything to the T, everyone is confident he will make a wonderful Dad. The girls were so excited about the whole thing and so enthusiastic. I felt a bit left out when DH was going off without me. Even on the day of the event, I wanted to go with DH but they said it would not be the right surprise, so I stayed at home and got picked up by a friend much later after DH left. But boy! was it all worth the wait!

The theme was Hawaiian. Everyone was dressed up in flowery shirts, skrits,dresses, shorts and slippers. I had a GREEN baby shower. No pink balloons, and decorative paper wasted. The decoration went with Hawaiian theme, all natural decoration using flowers, leaves and plants. A friend had made this cute Diaper Cake, made exclusively of baby items. The games were fun, Dont say Baby-Baby was the most fun. Whoever says the word Baby loses a pin and the one with the most pins wins. Everyone was playing tricks to make other say the word 'baby' which was the most wanted word that day, well, given it was a baby shower :--)). I had to tell my due date about 40 times, to guests.

Then we also did the Valakappu or Seemantham, dont know which. The ladies put kumkum and sandhanam on my forehead and bangles that came all the way from India on my hands. My parents and in laws were feeling a bit bad about not doing this ceremony, apparently the superstition is its good for the baby. Glad to have done that too. Then cake cutting, eating, and more eating.

Parting gifts were plants! We took two tomato plants and two pepper plants. There were oregano, basil, rosemary etc but seriously I dont know when I will graduate to cooking Italian at home, so didnt get them. Again the gang was sooooooo helpful in cleaning up the place afterwards. I didnt do a thing.

Went to friend's place for tea after and really missed not being pregnant. :--( Missed all the travel and hiking and camping plans that were being made, now that its summer. Made me wonder if I am really Mommy material. I am two different people in one. What to do.


--------

Last few days of only the two of us at home, once parents come, then baby comes, then it will be 17years before DH and I are alone again! Quite a life changer I think. Tomorrow marks the completion of six whole years of marriage bliss.
posted by SK @ 5:14 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Ally said…

    Cake looks so beautiful !!! Good luck :)

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Porkodi (பொற்கொடி) said…

    Super Super!! YaaaaY!!!! Sounds scary to me to even think of no-more-just-two-of-us..!!! awesome, good luck SK!

    and that finance guy - you couldnt find a better time eh?!

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Ram Srinivasan said…

    Dont complicate life with all this finance guy....

    Chumma jolly a irru. Maairu katti malaya iru. Vanda malla. Ponan mairu.


    P.S. I know it is not relevant but I love saying this

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Anonymous SK said…

    Thanks Ally!

    Kodi, sigh, you think about it when you get to the bridge.

    KDK,
    LOL! I will talk to you in 5 yrs.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger nourish-n-cherish said…

    Hawaiian green decorations is such a fantastic idea. It must have looked beautiful.

    BTW, don't worry about fin planners - that is their job. Try talking to insurance agents, you'll be surprised that for your age and height and eye color, you are up about and walking at all! That is what they do - the more spooked you are, the better are the chances for them to make money right?

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Porkodi (பொற்கொடி) said…

    update update update!

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger SK said…

    Saumya,

    You are so right! They are just doing their job, the more scared we are the better for them. Hmm.

    Porkodi, done-uu! :--))

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I see that though u try but u always end up portraying Hindu traditions as superstitious and silly.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com