Ramblings Only

Just ramblings, only a vent for emotions, feelings and all the good stuff

 
Few inches and everything in between
Thursday, November 03, 2011

Monthly goals progress and expectations 

Its already third of November, are days flying or what? And I have so much that I want to jot down! Before I dump my thoughts here a quick look at the goals.
Not a good month overall, because I was distracted. A lot. But I am not ashamed of it, because I needed it.

Being organized - 80%
Limiting carbs - 90%
Learning - 90%
Workout - 100%
Cloth diapering - 90%
Volunteering - 30%
Toastmasters - 0%
Chores - 20%
Limit sugar - 20%
Abs workout - 40%
Reading to BSK - 0%
Living in the moment - 50%
Prayer - 80%

Pathetic. I have no excuse other than the fact that I was focussing on Living in the moment :--P and didnt really try.
I am still undecided on whether I should pursue some of these things or not. I notice that I have a LOT on my plate and that is not good. So I am going to reduce it to 5 items and focus on those 5 and get the ball rolling on those. The ones I am totally struggling.

Toastmasters
Chores
Limit sugar
Reading to BSK
Prayer

Thats it. Simple.

I lost 2.4lbs. I am not where I wanted to get there by end of October but its okay.  I am fitting into my regular clothes! I am discovering clothes all over again, after more than a year. I am looking at it with different eyes, a different perspective.


Halloween

I started searching for 'the perfect' costume for BSK from beginning on October. I was so picky then, I read reviews about costumes and shunned all the adorable puppies and monkies and bugs. Then life came in between and the search was put in the back burner. A week before Halloween, DH and I kept talking about getting a costume, we visited the mall because we wanted to get out, but no costume was bought. Come Monday, I was in two minds and still undecided about whether I should swing by BabiesRUs to get something for BSK. Halloween is not exactly a festival we celebrate. Plus you will be getting something that she will wear just once. Plus this industry hopelessly prices infant costumes exorbitantly just because they know excited parents would succumb to social pressure and just buy it already. But this other side of me, which wanted BSK to have as perfect a childhood as possible, itched to get a costume. Party City was the destination. Turns out I was not the only delayed and dandy Mom out there. Lot of crowd. All cute costumes were sold out. So finally I ended up getting a Princess costume which just had big wings, a tutu skirt and a wand. Well, the wand was missing and I got a 15% discount. And I threw in a crown. The funny part was, it was meant for a 3+yr old :--S I thought we should be able to pull it off. This took an hour. In the pretty tight evening schedule, this meant MIL misses her walk and I miss my gym. Sigh! But it was Halloween.  A new green onsie, and a Hello Kitty babylegs with the stuff bought in a hurry completed BSK's Halloween costume. But she looked pretty! Does she have to wear a Princess costume to be our princess

What can I say about this little lady who is now mobile and rolls all over the floor? Who can sit on her own for few seconds? Who laughs in that cute little way that melts everyone's heart? Who has started sleeping on her side and tummy in her crib, which is realy scaring the hell out of us?

Epiphany 

In an attempt to rediscover my old self, and to counter the ever falling hair, I decided to get a fancy hair cut. I got a Groupon discount to this Salon in Palo Alto. I felt hep and trendy for going to a tattered Salon in Downtown Palo Alto. Well its not a tattered salon in Fremont no? I looked at this book and chose a few styles I liked. I noticed that I like neat styles. Well who doesnt like to be neat? Somehow neat equaled straight. I automatically discarded curly styles. I showed them to the lady when it was my turn. She took one look and said, " But you have curly hair. I can do the cut, but it might not look flattering" I was dumbfounded at this simple sentence which sparked a long winding thought in my head as she did a layered A cut suitable for curls on me.
Really, why do I (we?) always strive to be something we are not? If I have curly hair why do I lust the straight? Why do those with straight hair get a perm? Why not work with what you have, curly hair in this case and look good with that? Instead of doing all kinds of stuff to the hair to straighten and make it be what it is not naturally supposed to be? I am all for improvisations to look good,  but isnt this a bit extreme? I am guilty of doing this of course.

The same goes for shapes and sizes of your body. Why not work with your body to look as smashing as you can with what you have instead of regretting what you have been given? How many times have I loathed myself for not being petite or straight or fair or tall?

Some epiphany that. :--P



Rant

I was just going through my old posts from a couple years ago, and for some reason I felt sorry for myself. May be now that BSK is nearly 6 months, all my remnant 'happy hormones' from pregnancy are washed out completely, leaving the good old depressing SK. Sigh! How many of you are in general happy with what you are? Why am I not in general happy where I am? All the flaws just gape at me and I feel miserable unless I make a conscious effort to be happy. Sucks to be me. I hope I can use the above mentioned epiphany and get out of it aleady, being happy with who I am.  I also hope I dont rub off all this on BSK, who seems to be a super happy baby. Thinking of her makes me smile. Can I be a baby now? Pretty please?

posted by SK @ 6:16 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger Shachi said…

    Oh I can so relate with you on the hair comment :). My daughter has curly hair and it took me a while to start loving them :).

    I like Halloween for kids - never once dressed up myself, but I relate it to a fancy dress event back home...one chance a year to dress her up as something fun and unique! She was a peacock this year and looked amazing! I didn't pay for the outfit though - borrowed it from a neighbor, and plan on doing that as much as possible in future!

    Kids are great in keeping us adults live in the moment, and focus only on the positive :).

    Enjoy your baby....and thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving comments!

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger SK said…

    Shachi, your dotter has lovely curls ;--) Borrowing sounds like an idea! :--)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Name: SK
See my complete profile
My Clicks
    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ramblingsonly. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Ramblings Only .Template by Isnaini Dot Com