|
| Rest of the holidays |
| Monday, January 02, 2012 |
I know, I know the holidays are over and depressing January is here. But I have to relive my 9 days of vacation that I spent with little BSK. Uninterrupted mommytime.
With the project taping in just two days before the holidays began, and almost everyone taking off, and almost everyone encouraged to take off, it was a great tension free stress free holiday for me. With no worry about work whatsoever.
We had the only family we have here visiting us for Christmas. As I mentioned, BSK had a bad cold and it developed into a fever exactly the Saturday before Christmas. Good in a way, we didnt have to take off work, or worry about her at work, bad in a way because a few days of the holidays was spent a bit worried. Her temperature hovered in the 99s. But apparently 100.4 is officially a fever that needs medical attention. BSK was sleepy and very very cranky. Did I say she never cries unneccesarily? She was crying all the time on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. We lift her, she cries, we change her diaper she cries, we change her clothes she cries, we put her down, she cries, we apply baby oil, moisturizer, she cries, we touch her nose, she cries, we touch her hair, she cries. She stil kept us up in the night only once. And that night I was ready to be up and rocking her all night, if it meant she would sleep in peace.
Guests came on Sunday. It was nice to catch up. Menu was simple. Since I couldnt compete with MIL with Indian food I decided to go foreign. I made Bruschetta, Deviled Eggs, Thai Basil Fried Rice and Brownies while MIL made amazing channa masala again, pepper chicken and chicken curry and grilled fish. And rasam to finish. BSK got some great gifts. We each got a gift under the tree and openned it on Christmas day amidst cooking frenzy.
Monday we did take BSK to the doctor to make sure she can travel. She clung to me at the doctors place. Usually she is laid on the table for tests, but this time since she was soo clingy, the doctor did the usual tests with BSK on my lap, hugging me. It was a grass itching moment for me. She has never been a clingy baby. I have often felt guilty about the fact that I did not nurse her. I always felt, she favored my Mom or my MIL to me, because they spend more time with her. But now I agree and believe that a baby knows its mother like none other. Really! When she was sick, she wanted to be with me. May be her baby instinct told her I would keep her safe.
DH has this philosophy where he hates medication. My Dad too. I have come to adhere to it as well. There are some things that a baby's body has to go through in order to survive. Like having a cold, or a fever. The body then produces antibodies to fight these virus strains. So I hear, having a cold is good for the baby. We did not give her any medication. Only hot steam bathroom time. By Tuesday her temperature was down to normal, she didnt feel like a hot water bottle on my neck. We were never so happy to see her smile and laugh and play with full gusto again.
Wednesday we left for Reno. In Laws wanted to see snow. It was not like our usual Reno vacation where we gamble, drink (free drinks, non alcoholic, I mean!), dine, like there is no tomorrow and cry when its time to return to reality. We did reminisce those carefree days. But watching BSK's antics on the bed once in the room was enough to make it worth all the trouble. Since BSK was just recovering we kept a close watch on her to make sure she was comfortable and happy. She was truly a champ. Apart from refusing to have her milk, she was a good girl. :--) We remembered to carry all her stuff, even her baby cooker for solids. We were sooo meticulous in planning the trip for her, we forgot our own stuff. :--S DH forgot his sleep shorts and I forgot my glasses. DH joked that if somebody knocked the door at night BSK will only be in a position to open the door. I am literally blind without glasses.
BSK slept with us in our bed in the hotel and boy was it bliss to wake up in the middle of the night to BSK's head butting under my arms as she snuggled closer to me. One night, BSK's head was so close to DH, as she made one 90 degree rotation in sleep, that DH also decided to sleep horizontally in bed. BSK started saying 'ba' related words more often while on the trip. She became more jumpy and quite adament on the trip.
She says, 'baba' 'abba' 'buuaa' 'appa' 'papa' and other variations with 'b' and all vowels :--) Yes, incase you didnt notice her first word is appa. Not amma, but appa. But I am fine with it actually. As long as she lifts both her hands and jumps up and down when she sees me and cries to come to me from DH, I am totally fine :--) Thats what she has been doing this past week. One of the days when DH and I left for the gym, and she was with FIL, I went to tell her bye and immediately she started crying, lifting her hands, meaning she wanted me to lift her up. I didnt lift her, just slipped away, but was feeling guilty all the way at the gym. I love her soooo much. I noticed when she cries she says amma. I think thats why amma is amma no? Because it is most naturally the first words of a baby.
So, back to the trip, we played a little. We lost some, we won more. Which was good. May be because we didnt play a lot we won more. We took turns looking after BSK with In Laws. Actually MIL took care of BSK while FIL and we played. We played for 7 hrs over the course of 2days. We spent time playing at the Arcade, watched Circus shows, we stayed in Circus Circus, so there were a lot of families with kids. We got back on Friday. We badly wanted to stopover in F-town but couldnt.
Saturday we went to the Picture People for a photoshoot. I had originally scheduled it for Monday but since BSK was sick postponed it. And thank god I did! BSK was an absolute doll. After initial clinging on, she happily posed, the photographer was awesome in capturing every little pose of hers. I am so in love with BSK, NOW I dont want her to grow up at all!
She smiles sooo much. She jumps, she baba-s, stands up with support, pulls on your hair, swims on the floor, not yet figured out crawling, may be she will never crawl. She is a climber. I am the tree. She will claw all over me to get to my head, to put my hair in her mouth. One way to soothe her when she is crying is to put DH's head close to her. She is immediately happy, and holds his hair to chew them. She also screams. Its a controlled scream, which she imitates from me. She screams that way when she is toooo happy, when she needs to show her happiness beyond stretching her mouth wide open in a smile. She also crinkles her nose and breathes forcefully, how else do I describe it?, when she is happy and playful. She doesnt stay in one place, she is always trying to leap over to pick something or the other. One favorite game of hers is Peekaboo. If I throw any piece of cloth on her face, she will remove it with her hand and smile. She will also remove it if we put the cloth on our faces. She also understands some complex things.When I am holding her with her face facing mine, my hands behind her, if I move my iPhone, which is invariably eyes if I have it in my hand, from right hand to the left, behind her, she sees that the iphone disappeared on this hand and looks at the other side at the other hand! God, she is doing so many things, learning so many things, its tough to keep track!
This New Year is the first time in 6 years that we are at home. 2005 - London, 2006- Maui, 2007 - Miami, 2008 - Aspen, 2009 - Reno, 2010 - Big Island, 2011 - Fremont, bleah!
The day after holidays is the hardest to get to work.
I have resolutions. I dont have New Year resolutions. I just have resolutions, goals, like the usual. I just realized, that my resolutions or goals get reset weekly rather than yearly. So if at all I slack off, I slack off only for a week and I get a chance to reset and restart the next week. So I get to make resolutions 52 times a year instead of just once. :--P I have to stick to it only for 7 days unlike 365 days a year and so I have a better chance to succeed no? Sunday when I go to Church, I reset. A new page, a new week, a chance to be good again.
Ok, next post when I do write, I will write about my plans and goals for 2012. |
posted by SK @ 10:53 PM  |
|
| 5 Comments: |
-
Happy New Year too! :)
As you must know by now, these are one of the better best times of babyhood. Enjoy every bit!
Happy new year to you and yours too!
-
Sooooo cute a post!!! Happy NY again!!!
-
It just gets better from here :)....once she is talking you will LOVE it.
And it's a great idea to keep only weekly resolutions....
-
Lovely post! Happy new year to you all :)
-
Rads, yep yep yep! :--)
Porkodi! To you too! :--) Shachi, I agree! :--)
Saumya, to you and your family too! ;--) Lets rock this year!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
Happy New Year too! :)
As you must know by now, these are one of the better best times of babyhood. Enjoy every bit!
Happy new year to you and yours too!